Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever seen RLO-TV

Options
  • 04-04-2001 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I remember a while back, I came accross a web-site advertising a television station in Limerick called RLO-TV.
    I am aware that someone uses this username on this board and wondered if he/she could provide some information.
    I have also heard that Channel 5 is rebroadcast in certain parts of Limerick with an RLO-TV logo superimposed on screen.
    I remember RLO_TV website had listings for rugby matches etc, and the website did appear to be way out of date.
    Is or was this a pirate television station?
    There was one several years ago in Dublin, run by the wonderful pioneer of irish Radio Super-stations Chris carey. However this part of his media empire did not last too-long.
    Anyone got any answers??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We get RLO TV on Ch51. Maddens run it. They are the previous owners of Live95 FM in Limerick (RLO = Radio Limerick One). At various stages they have been on Internet and Satellite broadcasting too.
    They DO have an ODTR "deflector" licence, but I don't know which activities it covers. I think they transmit BBC from 2 locations. Ch51 has Ch5 till 11pm or 11.30 pm when they might do their own program. (The feed we get, as in Patrickswell the RLO TX is almost in the same direction as our RTE Woodcock Hill source).
    Quality of the the transmission is poor with sound & video levels often wrong. The Ch5 feed uses a poor Analog sat feed (sparklies when it rains), though often Chorus Sky News or Eurosport feeds are worse! My Ch5 analog on Astra is still perfect (on 90cm dish, shared with 28E Digital and 13E Hotbirds LNBs) when Chorus Eurosport is unwatchable.
    I don't get the BBC feeds, though I was told that if I bought the right UHF aerial and pointed it at Croom, I would.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

An ODTR Deflector licence allows re-transmission of four stations only (normally presumed to be BBC ONE, BBC TWO, UTV, and C4, but this isn't specified in the licence). SCTV have a special licence which allows them to operate multiple deflector systems - but only four channels on each system.

RLO TV, the pirate TV station itself is illegal under present rules, but it might be allowed apply for a Cable Content Contract from the BCI (if it could find someone to carry it) when the Minister brings the relevant section of the Broadcasting Act 2001 into force.

Radio Limerick One (Gerard Madden being the MD) have the "distinction" of being the only IRTC programme contractor ever to lose their contract, and I don't think they'd be very successful trying to get another one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Madden's is not the only Station with the distinction of losing an IRTC Licence. The Licence was removed from the Dave Heffernan's Group who got the Cork County and City Licence in 1989 because they could not come up with the money to pay Vat and Tax on imcome that individuals within the group accrued during pirate days.

Interestingly Cork County sound / there investors ended up with the largest shares of the reissued licences

Advertisement