Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance

Options
  • 17-08-2001 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Greets to one and all.. Looking for a bit of help here

What Im looking for is the name of a decent insurer/broker for car insurance. I know full well i'm gonna get fleeced by practically everyone (seeing as I'm 20 and currently on a prov license). But if anyone has had any good dealings or has gotten cheaper insurance from anyone I'd appreciate getting their details. Need a car, bikes are too cold in winter.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got a good deal from quinn-direct (quinn-direct.ie?) but you're betting off just getting a broker to do the leg work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

try mike murphy insurance.
    not sure about phone number, you can do that yourself, but is right beside the bankers pub off dame street.
    i got a quote 400 quid cheaper than any other company.
    insured with pmpa. pmapa offered to cover me for 1500 quid. bas7ards!

AXA are doing a deal were you put in a box which monitors your speed and if you drive within the limit you get cheaper premiums.
    Go to www.axa.ie

rofl - muppets smile.gif How's the box going to know what the speed limit is? It says it uses GPS but I seriously doubt if every zone in the country is programmed into it. Zones change all the time too and I bet it won't be updated properly. Also we have to pay £950 to install it! **** off! smile.gif

This is a particularly dazzling inovation given that a multitude of studies have shown that excessive speed is the cause of less than 5% of accidents. The majority of accidents are when some muppet driving at 5mph pulls out of a junction without looking. You can see TRAKSURE tongue.gif would be of enormous benefit.

I also don't believe it would encourage safe driving. My daily commute involves a lot of dualcarrigeway and roundabouts. Typically the 30mph sign is well back from the roundabout and is typically ignored by all. If you slowed from 60 to 30 for one of those signs, in order to get your TRAKSURE tongue.gif discount, you'd cause everybody behind you to slam on their brakes. If you're lucky enough not to get shunted up the rear, you'll then get a steam of cars pulling around you, forcing people in the other lane to slam on their brakes. Then at least 3 jokers will cut in front of you forcing you to slam on your brakes. Safe driving? You'll have an ulcer by the end of the first week! smile.gif

I also like the way it's aimed at young drivers. I'm a young driver and drive safely and within the speed limit most of the time, but they need TRAKSURE tongue.gif ? Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty smile.gif

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum15/HTML/000600.html

[This message has been edited by Blitzkrieger (edited 29-08-2001).]

I drive a Ford Fiesta '84, 1.1. I am 22 with no accidents in the last 3 years. No "No claims" however.

I get insured in England for £518 sterling.
    I've come back to Ireland for a year's placement and I'm getting quoted £2,500 on the same car!!

I'll try some of those other Insurance companies posted. Tell ye the outcome.

ridiculous

Mick

• Advertisement

My sister works for quinn-direct and its about the best deal you'll get, altho if you live in Dublin insurance is going to be expensive also, don't do the quote thing on the internet, instead ring up and get a quote but remember...everything you say is recorded and when you ring back they'll know all you told them already!...also if your asked say your car is parked in a garage at night and outside a bank during the day...hehe...sounds silly maybe but safes you £££'s...i advise you to get a full licence its not that hard i got mine when i was 17 and it makes a difference of a few hundred cuid....but its better in ur pocket than theres!

Farls

Now's a good time to call the Cavan office of quinn-direct btw!...all their computers are down and their handing out insurance...hehehehe

Farls

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

computers still down!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The last time someone raised the dead like this, they called him the son of God.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement