Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on DSL modem

Options
  • 07-02-2003 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is getting eircom dsl, and he wants to know what's a good (cheap ) dsl modem. He's probably going to be using it with a wireless AP/router. So a decent dsl modem with a standard ethernet connect is needed.

any advice?
    Greg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Well, it might be overkill if he only needs one port but I bought a DLink DSL 504 from Peats for E169 incl. VAT. It has four ports and does NAT and firewall too.
    Been using it for 4 months without a problem. They had them in stock the last time I was there a while ago.
    Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

the wireless ap/router already does firewalling/NAT and has a built in hub, so it is a bit overkill for his needs. I'm looking for a cheap, good, basic dsl modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Sorry, I guess I should've read your first post more carefully. I haven't tried the DSL 500 from DLink but I believe that is a basic DSL router with ethernet out.
    If you decide for any reason that a USB unit will suffice, I have an ex iStream Alcatel one for sale.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I have a ethernet ADSL modem for sale. Eircom sell them for €245.
    I would sell it for €150.

Advertisement