Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Write up of Shadowlords part I

Options
  • 06-02-2003 7:21pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, Shadowlords was started on Wednesday.

The Cast:
    Rameses fighter/ranger
    Shan Winklo Monk
    Elmer mc Fud Monk
    Sally Rogue (ok then, thief)
    Fade barbarian
    zzap wizard
    saruman sroceror
    Thael (spelling?) ehhhh, ranger?
    Light Ranger
    (i think i am missing one)

The campaign opened with a meeting with Josura. She wanted us to deliver a letter to Captain Preth in Shadowdale where he was fighting the Zhentarim (fans of forgotten realms will recognise this stuff).

Off we go into the city. Where there were numerous quests to be found. Not sure who did what when, but from what I can remember:

Sally recovered a love potion and then brought an alchemist and a girl called Anna together without resorting to magic (there's a lesson in there for all of us.. use a potion, it's easier :p)

A small boy was missing, we found him trying to pawn a ring in the craft shop (a front for thieving items). light bought the ring off him for 25gp, which remonds me, light, we owe you 35gp from group treasure.

There were firebeetles in the cellar of the inn. These were massacred by Saruman.

kessler had special noodles and was raising the fire beetles illegally. A town guard rewarded us with xp and a point of lawfulness for delivering a recipe to him (Fade had knackered this already.. before it was a quest item.. if it's not nailed down the orc will steal it. mind you, it'll take more than nails to stop him)

Bandits had occupied a house in the north west. Zzap cunningly found them. really. he wasn't trying to loot the place. he was scouting :D

Some guy went on and on about his sick father. Did this get sorted?

And a merchant we were supposed to meet was accused of stealing an engagement ring (insert lightbulb here). We recovered the ring from the little b******... i mean boy adn we were ready to head on with our quest.

Outside the city:
    We came to a town that was deserted. At the entrance to the town we met a cleric who knew us. Turns out she is half Aasimaar (a sort of angel type thingy). being a cleric of Death she was more than welcome to join us.

The town was infested with uncead. In one house we met a few zombies. The monks and fade took a quick break to finish them off. Behind a locked door we found another zombie, in a chest there was a letter. Turns out the zombie was the wife or daughter of the mayor. He locked her in the room to protect her from the undead but she starved to death and came back as... well, a zombie. Which we killed.

Sally meanwhile had found a bordello. Wanfering by herself (tut tut, dont you watch horror films?), she got killed by some skeletons.

North of the town a soldier ran past shouting that the way throught he pass was blocked by zhents and we had to find an alternative route. Luckily enough Fade found a cave that lead to the local mines.

<conjecture bit, most stuff was dead by the time I arrived>
    The mine was inhabited by goblins and wolves, and one human who attacked us for some reason. Saruman found a trapdoor that lead to level 2 of the mines and we descended.

<end conjecture bit>

Sally had to leave at this stage.

A halfling waited down below beside an underground river. He told us he would ferry us when we were ready. Very nice of him. We looted his house.

Down the swany:
    orcs. orcs and ogres. Wheeeee!. A decent fight or two and we were through the lair of the orcs. Further on we found an altar that radiated EVIL. In a room to the side we found the leader of the goblins. he did quite well for a few seconds. On his corpse Shan found a puzzle ring, inscribed on it was a riddle (i forget the exact words but it went something like : From the centre to the edge the band of gold. Circle and blah blah blah..... there was an option to choose a number 1, 2, 3, 4 . I chose 3, then 1 then 4 [3.14 = pi] a decent riddle but a bit obvious) The ring became a ring of prot +1 which Shan had the most use for (I had bought one in BT3 already).

Eastwards and South were more goblins.they put up a suprisingly tough fight (I think Light was killed). Light found a "living crystal" we have no idea what that does. There was also a potion of many colours, a variant on the potion of rainbow hues form 2e, random effect when drank, multiple uses (?).

Out of the caves:
    And into the Shadowdale where the battle was taking place. Found Captain Preth adn delivered the letter. It told him to withdraw, which contradicted the letters he had been receiving which were telling him to plough in more and more men.

to the North East we found a bugbear guarding the road. He didn't last long :)

To the North; zzap found a shack with quite a tough character inside. Turns out he has been sending misleading information to both sides of the conflict. For some reason they were being told to put more and more men into combat and then the bodies were carted away to the west by a mysterious figure (this is from two looters in the centre of the map). We killed the troublemaker (and quite tough he was too!) adn looted everything we could.

West of this, light found and butchered a terrifying merchant that dared to try to sell him stuff! :p

West again and we found the zhentarim camp. The guards let us walk straight in and we spoke to the commander. Showing him the letter he rewarded us with XP and agreed to stop the slaughter.

Captain Preth also rewarded us and was relieved at not having to kill anymore (what a pansy).

On an interesting aside: Light seems to be generally hated by almost every NPC we meet. They were constantly attacking him (even some animals were at it, methinks he's been hanging around collane and BC too much).

There the chapter ended. Loot was divided up.

light got a longsword +1
    Thael got a shortsword +1
    Saruman got a bag of holding (20% weight reduction)
    zzap got a scroll of identify (ok not much, but he did get a staff and something else last week so it balances)
    several other items were handed out, nothing too fantastic.

left over is 500gp and some gems that will be sold. The money will be divided between those that did not receive items (sally, elmer and fade if i remember correctly).

Monday, Shadowlords part II. Where maybe we'll find out who is behind the undead and the false orders (emmmmm, someone called the Shadowlord perhaps? :D)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Light0r

hehe - i didnt die once in it tbh
    Some one else picked up t hat chrystal - but i think i know the reason why they attacked me.
    IT was after the case of the red shield fellas - you gave them the letter - i was comming out lookin for ye and wanderd into un-explored terroritory and then they stopped me and questioned me
    I had 4 choices "Die you skum","Im sorry i wanderd into wrong terrirtory","Here' this is a letter for you","..... forget full me etc...
    Anyway ... i choise "im sorry i wanderd into wrong territory" - since no 1 was around - i was looking for the shack.
    Just after i said that the dialog dissapeared and the word "Quick Attack - DO a quick attack" appeared over one of the guards heads.
    THe Other one agreed with a slice of my flesh.
    They both attacked me twice quickly - i ran fast towards the nearest few that i saw - whom were sauruman and .... 1 other i think.
    ran around a few times and that was that.
    The fella who they were talkin to had mysteriously dissapepared tho.
    not my fault :P

It seemed a bit short last nite tho :o
    we were at it for a good ... hour and half .. but most of that was running around a city n stuf.
    maby twas just me ...

- Light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I must say I do like the write ups lolth :)

Anyhows I wandered off with 250gp and a bracer of armour +1 - not empty handed at all at all ...

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

"Sally meanwhile had found a bordello. Wanfering by herself (tut tut, dont you watch horror films?), she got killed by some skeletons."

I never died in there. Kicked all their asses without being killed (they only hit me once, taking 5 HP or something).

btw, you can keep the 35 GP for the amulet of this girl. Still got lots of stuff to sell and nothing to buy so I don't need any money.

cya
    - Flash

p.s.: just read the rest of lolth's post. You can keep the other gold, too. Like I said: nothing I can really buy with the gold. Will only get lost when I die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

The one youre missing was me, remember Laeus?
    I was the one who picked up that crystal, dont know what it does, still in my inventory anyway just in case, and I was the other person by the merchant and can verify SHE did just disappeared. That was pretty much all i did,besides being killed twice by a couple of skeletons(Got leveled up after the second time,which was nice). Couldnt really do much with only a cack normal shortbow, still fun though ill be there next wednesday(Cant make it mondays :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'll transfer the crystal to loloth later doday so that the other can continue the quest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Excellent write up there lolth...

On the merchant mystery.. i wonder.. maybe the merchant was not quite coshure.. so when he saw the guards chasing light.. well he did a runner? I dont reacall him actually being dead.. only gone... It was a little dodgy out there in the forest dont you think?

T'is a mystery t' be sure dont y' know!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

We just finished Shadowlords over on the Jarhedz nwn server.

You mentioned that ligth was being attacked by almost every npc. This caused us awful problems with shadowlords 1 and we had to restart the module. In shadowlords 2 we had problems with henchmen attacking other group members. The rest of the campaign went very smoothly though

Shadowlords is by far the best campaign I have played in NWN to date. We are waiting for the dreamcatcher series to finish before we start into it.

At the moment we are playing Citadel of Blood, which is a high level dungeon crawl with some very though fights in it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well, I'll write up shadowlords 2 when I get a chance. NPC interaction at its finest I must say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Lolth you can add this bit.
    When ye all left I grabbed the 2 NPC's who we ditched and just wandered around. Was sure we left something out.
    Turned out they attacked and killed the mayor dude before I could stop them and I got 5 points towards my already considerable evil alignment.

There was some evil doings in last nights chapter all right!!
    It started with the npc's attacking boxes (damn nooble)... also some people got bored and started attacking chickens... farmers did not like that.. i killed a cow and got more xp than all those chicken killers combined.. but the whole town turned against me and when i killed an attacking farmer it was yeat more evil crap!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

BC, have you actually shifted alignment now? To the stage where you can't continue levelling up.

It's a nice idea, but it is a bit unfair (and very difficult to find ways to gain opposite points - ie for good or law, you only get one point for a quest etc, but you lose one point for each chest, crate or barrell). I think we missed a lot of loot from those "personal chests" and the inn chest.

We could all go evil and kill everything in sight.. then we can take all the chests we like... I left a load of personal chests alone because i did not want to effect the party any more.. one thing i did not know till last night was that alignment changes can prevent you leveling up? How/why is this so?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

If you have attacked a chicken and it resulted in commoners attacking you then you are screwed for the rest of that module. Anything in the commonor faction ( chicens, shopkeepers, passers-by etc ) will develop a keen hatred for you and attack on sight.

We had huge problems with shadowlords 1 and 2. Some of the henchmen were causing terrible problems too, but we picked them up again in chapter 3 and they didn't cause any problems from then on.

You are better off playing without the henchmen at the start as you will level up quicker without them.

we noticed.. we also attacked each other... i was accidently killed but when i respawned, even though i lost some gold and xp.. at least the commoners did not hate me any more so i could talk to people.

Advertisement