Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL speaker at upcoming First Tuesday event

Options
  • 06-02-2003 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

IOFFL speaker at First Tuesday event -

'The Telecommunications Industry in Ireland – 2003 – 2006'

Date: Tuesday February 11th.
    Venue: The Berkeley Court, Landsdowne rd., Dublin 4.

Panellists:

Sean Bolger - Telecoms Entrepreneur
    David Long - Ireland Offline
    Phil Hogan, TD – Fine Gael spokesperson on Enterprise, Trade and employment
    Peter Evans, Product Director - EsatBT
    John McSweeney, General manager - ESB Telecoms

Chairperson: Investnet

Suggested topics:

Introduction of panelists

After initial in! vestments during the 80s and early 90s in our telecoms infrastructure why have we now fallen behind?

What are the long term effects of an underdeveloped broadband infrastructure on Education and Employment?

What is the downside if we do not address the current lack of broadband in Ireland?

What is broadband - can DSL be considered broadband?

Looking overseas to international benchmarks - Whats being done and what lessons can be learned

Registration: 6-6.30pm at the venue, the event will be followed by networking & refreshments. The event will commence promptly at 6.30.

Admission: Euro 15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

hmmm, might come to this place and listen to what they have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Is there a questions and answers session ?

Whats Fine Gaels Telecoms policy ?

Someone ask EsatBT what they are going doing with the grant they got from the Govt for Wireless Lans and will it benefit the home user or is it only for the business user.

or

"Hey, EsatBT guy, whats the story with that fibre ring the government funded that you built ? It being used ? Why not ? "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

simon coveney's their appropriate spokesman, he's knows what he's talking about ...kinda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

After initial in! vestments during the 80s and early 90s in our telecoms infrastructure why have we now fallen behind?

"Gov/Eircom" incompetance, short sightedness

What are the long term effects of an underdeveloped broadband infrastructure on Education and Employment?

"Resession"

What is the downside if we do not address the current lack of broadband in Ireland?

"all of the above"

What is broadband - can DSL be considered broadband?

"Its only a stepping stone.. 1mb+ is broadband."

Looking overseas to international benchmarks - Whats being done and what lessons can be learned

Its too late! to learn anything.. we now need to act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Whats Fine Gaels Telecoms policy ?

I can't answer authoritatively, but I would imagine that it's based in whole or in part around Ivan Yates' policy document of 2000. If it isn't, it should be, because it was a pretty mature document for its time, very much redolent of Dermot Ahern's policies now. (I'm not going to call them Fianna Fail policies, because Fianna Fail never wrote them down properly.)

Unfortunately, I can't point you to it, because Fine Gael rebuilt their website just before the General Election without redirecting URLs from the old site, and without a search facility. I can't find the document in the Wayback Machine and it isn't in Google's cache. I have a copy of it locally though, so I'll post a link to it on my website later today.

EDIT: Here we go:eConfident Ireland. Ivan was even way ahead of his time putting an 'e' in front of eEverthing. :)

adam

I'll try and slip this under Dustaz's radar: A couple of us have had preliminary discussions on setting up an advisory committee on technology, telecommunications and internet issues. It's quite likely that the committee will only target Fine Gael, but I'd be interested in hearing feedback on this. If you think you may be interested, or you have a comment or question, please drop me a line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

so whos going,

€15 for painful speechs, i'll probably end up going with spare old boots at hand to fling at eircon reps,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by theciscokid
    so whos going,

I might pop along if I get the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Hey maybe someone (Mr. Long) could mention something like what i was ranting on about last month (i.e. a declaration by 3rd level IT students that they may have to leave ireland to find emplyment due to the state of the broadband infrastructure in this country)..
    I know i never got round to it but my studies are just too demanding and FRIACO and the Eircom DSL price cut have put that project on the back burner till the summer atleast

I should make there Tuesday none the less :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

what was it like, anybody make it there?

i couldn't get up , what a ****ty start time, enroll @ 6,

i mean traffic people?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Panelists included:
    <noone> from Eircom, although they were invited ("Nobody understands us. Boo-hoo!")
    <noone> from the Government, although they too were invited (?)

John McSweeney of ESB was keen to declare their network open for business and was making some unsubtle overtures to Seán Bolger (strictly business, you understand :)). ESB seem keen to do business with any carrier interested in using their network.

Said Seán Bolger, returning to the battlefield of Irish telecommunications after some years in exile, in Young Turk mode (his wireless telco - whose name I forget - apparently serves "all of Dublin"?), confidently predicted that broadband was predominantly only going to be delivered via wireless.

Dennis Hogan (FG) acquitted himself creditably, as few politicians have until recently, showing a firm grasp of the issues. The façade only slipped slightly when he launched into "unbundle the local loop"-mode.

Proceedings came a-cropper for a bit when Dave Long was asked about progress to date in the provision of broadband in Ireland. He leapt on the the table, shaking his fist, thundering "And I will strike down on thee with Great Vengeance and Fuuurious Anger..." (no, I made that bit up)

Peter Evans (BT) was the also-ran in the discussion. his main contribution being re-emphasise the importance of flat-rate for stimulating demand for broadband. An interesting anomaly to this was his answer to a question from the floor - "what is the revenue model for broadband delivery?". He admitted there was none, saying that revenue from broadband would come from the delivery of services (something telcos do not, and will not, have a hope in hell of providing).

Deliver the bits, stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Xian
    He admitted there was none, saying that revenue from broadband would come from the delivery of services

Ah, that old chestnut again. There was a time when telcos thought they could make a lot of money selling stuff (and services) on narrowband as well. Tried, failed, no brand building. Won't work.
    Deliver the bits, stupid.
    Sums it up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

so overall there was no new information. ... it was all a PR excercise with no commitment on dates and delivery of friaco or broadband for the masses

Advertisement