Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Ahern determined to drive broadband....

Options
  • 05-02-2003 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Dermot Ahern Announces 10% Online Advertising Target

Dermot Ahern TD, Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, today announced that 10% of his Department’s advertising spend will be on the Internet.

And he called on employers group, IBEC, Dublin Chamber of Commerce and other business interests to follow suit.

Speaking at the Irish telecoms conference in Dublin today, the Minister said there was too much lip service paid to the Internet. He said that to drive demand it was important to show that the Internet works.

“As a start I have directed my officials to set aside a minimum 10% of my Department’s advertising spend to online advertising. It is a growing market and, as the Minister with responsibility for the communications sector, I believe we will be setting an example for other Government departments and agencies,” the Minister declared.

The Minister also said that he was currently finalising his policy direction to the Commission for Communications Regulation. “Let me confirm today that the final policy direction will mandate flat rate Internet access,” Minister Ahern stated.

Minister Ahern also announced the establishment of a Telecom Strategy Group which is to report back to him in three months. The new group will consist of representatives of IBEC, the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators (ALTO) and senior Department officials.

The group’s role will be to advise on driving Broadband demand. “What I don’t want from this group is telcos simply holding out their hands looking for taxpayers money to subsidise their services. To be blunt, in the present climate, those sort of demands are simply untenable.”

The Minister outlined progress on a number of fronts:

·Flat-rate access should be introduced in Ireland by June.
    ·DSL prices have halved with a March delivery date.
    ·Wireless LAN pilots are in operation now - although prices will have to fall in this area.
    ·Increased competition following the launch of the ESB broadband Southern Loop and the forthcoming Northern Loop launch.
    ·Launch of the €63 million broadband Metropolitan Area Networks 19 towns project.

The Minister added: “Over the next twelve months I want to kill one myth – that this country cannot support profitable broadband – because it can. My message is simple - cut prices - you’ll bring in volume - you’ll make money.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Holy Cow. Contrast this guy with his predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Dangger
    “Let me confirm today that the final policy direction will mandate flat rate Internet access,” Minister Ahern stated.

About f**king time!
    Originally posted by Dangger
    The Minister added: “Over the next twelve months I want to kill one myth – that this country cannot support profitable broadband – because it can. My message is simple - cut prices - you’ll bring in volume - you’ll make money.”

Eircom, are you reading this? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Has anybody heard anything else about the ESB broadband fibre optic thingie (a technical term)? From their website they say:

"ESB telecoms will operate as 'a carriers carrier' providing a number of access packages for telecommunications companies and other businesses requiring broadband access."

Has any business or telecoms company got broadband access off them yet? Will the average Joe Sixkilobit be able to get hooked up, cable modem style in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

... and he'll get value for money - for some reason:D online advertising is really cheap at the moment. At least the guy is aware that the internet actually exists - if there was no other reason (and there are a few) he's already ahead of Mary from the Seanad.

Originally posted by Son of Blam

Has any business or telecoms company got broadband access off them yet? Will the average Joe Sixkilobit be able to get hooked up, cable modem style in the future?

It will not be for the average joe. I read in some paper that Esat has signed a letter of agreement with them to use the ring when if and when they start reselling Hutchinsons 3G offering. Theres also talk that this ring would help feed Hutchinsons network around Ireland. I further read (do a google search for 3G and ESB ) that the ESB might provide their 400 towers to Hutchinson for the network.

Anyway theres another thread about the ESB here

Maybe Dutaz or Sceptre can move this post there for you ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

As a start I have directed my officials to set aside a minimum 10% of my Department’s advertising spend to online advertising.

Surely if he wants to spread the word to people about the internet he needs to advertise on the TV, Newspapers, Magazines etc. Advertising Online is only preaching to the ones that are obvioulsy already online?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

You've got to remember LFCFan that all internet users aren't necessairly broadband users. I suppose he is trying to promote awareness to the 56kers out there who don't know much about broadband, friaco etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

It does sound promising, lets just hope he follows through with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Ahhh

Government officical telling me exactly what I want to hear. Hart warming :rolleyes:.

It's nice to see that actual facts can be used now, as opposed to just promises...
    ·DSL prices have halved with a March delivery date.
    ·Wireless LAN pilots are in operation now - although prices will have to fall in this area.
    ·Increased competition following the launch of the ESB broadband Southern Loop and the forthcoming Northern Loop launch.
    At least now we have reason to expect everything else to fall into place, rather then basing our hopes on waffling sh1tes.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Serbian
    You've got to remember LFCFan that all internet users aren't necessairly broadband users. I suppose he is trying to promote awareness to the 56kers out there who don't know much about broadband, friaco etc.

I know but what about all the non internet heads who need to realise that the internet exists? There is zero internet promotion in this country(outside of €ircon touting their crappy service).

• Advertisement

They should try and choose to advertise on sites with large communities of local Irish online users. Sites like Boards and p45. Boards is denfintely a great way to advertise the benefits of the internet.

I wonder does this 10% budget cover sponsorship too. If they believed the Comregs Future Delivery of Broadband doc where they mentioned that creation of new content will bring people online and certain content can promote the take up of broadband. They should sponsor boards to keep doing what it does and drag more people online.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“As a start I have directed my officials to set aside a minimum 10% of my Department’s advertising spend to online advertising. It is a growing market and, as the Minister with responsibility for the communications sector, I believe we will be setting an example for other Government departments and agencies,” the Minister declared.

I wonder if boards will get any of these ads, it certainly should, it is probably the largest online community in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I think boards.ie should post a rate card to Minister Dermot Ahern.

Advertisement