Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More new Wireless Tech in 5.8Ghz band

Options
  • 03-02-2003 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Comreg have reserved this band, maybe now we can See why .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Hmmm .. if I read that right ... there can be up to 20 channels at 20Mbit a channel but the bit I dont understand is the 4 or 6 sectors bit ... does this mean that each sector can have 20 X 20Mbit channels? if it does then you have some serious capacity
    Or if it means that the 20 X 20Mbit channels are divided between the sectors ... not a whole heap of data .. still better than 802.11a or g though ... interesting to see what will become of it ..

The thing that needs to be sorted out though is will comreg sell off the band to esat or someone for a few peanuts .. and forever damn the rural people of Ireland to 56k modems or will they make it a unlicensed band (with hopefully a larger power allowance than is given to wifi) ...we can only hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They will licence this one BECAUSE they will allow more power. See what Comreg said Here last year.

The licencing route is the only way to knock heads together if they interfere with each other.

The unlicenced band will be 802.11 ('a' I think) at around 5.5 Ghz ....but at lower outputs.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

It does mean that you can have six sectors per mast as opposed to four traditionally. So, yes, you can have serious bandwidth.
    It is great to see all these technologies coming to the fore. It can only help the situation here. That, and the willingness of people to do the right thing.
    I think the BMW wireless bid is doing the right thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While all of this is great, it is only of use if it is licensed correctly.

If the license is just given to the likes of Eircom, Chorus or Esat (or even worse the mobile phone companies - they don't want this to undercut the value of their 3G licenses) and they just sit on it then it won't be of any use.

When ComReg issue this license, they must ensure that an aggresive roll out schedule is part of the license and that the license can be revoked if the schdule is not met.

Ideally I'd like to see licenses given to small operators (i.e. IBB, IrishWISP, Leap, IrishWAN, etc.) in small areas, with at least one operator covering each area. I believe this would lead to the quickest rollout and maximise competition.

.....because they are county based. The licences must be given out on a per county basis in the 5.8Ghz band...hopefully soon.

Schematic.

1. Roll out the licences in trances of 6,6,6,6,2 = 26 Counties

2. Least populated (by people per KM 2) counties make up the first tranche then 2nd least populated counties right up to the 2 which must be Cork and Dublin.

3. IF you want a Cork or a Dublin Licence you must already have a licence in the first or second tranche.

4. You may not be awarded a Dublin licence unless you are up and running with 80% population coverage in your tranche one and/or tranche 2 county..........hint Leitrim will be in tranche one.

Call it a programmed pavlovian reward mechanism. Start the licencing process in June 2003 with a tranche ery 2 months thereafter :D

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Is this 802.11a tecnology which I thought was mostly approved ?

Why give a county licence ? Allow a licence per area so that theres no pressure for one group to have x amount of coverage in a given time. Many of the community based groups that are under the umbrella of IrishWAN will need to start off on a small basis and work from there.

This would mean a per POP rollout. Would a licence be needed for just a pop or would a licence be given to work in 25 sq kms and allow you to put up as many pops as you want in there. Would it also need to be exclusive licences per area or would other operators be allowed in ?

Originally posted by yellum
    Is this 802.11a tecnology which I thought was mostly approved ?

No and I already said that , search for 5.8 and 5.5 above !
    Why give a county licence ? Allow a licence per area so that theres no pressure for one group to have x amount of coverage in a given time.

80% coverage in tranche one to get a further licence, 50% within a year if you are only doing your own county. I believe that there has to be a slab of bandwidth for Group Data Schemes ...to update a well known concept, the Group Water Scheme . Counties are the most convenient units for wireless and are already in use by Comreg for FWA and FWPMA metrics.
    Many of the community based groups that are under the umbrella of IrishWAN will need to start off on a small basis and work from there.

A licence will help the fundraising effort, non ?
    This would mean a per POP rollout. Would a licence be needed for just a pop or would a licence be given to work in 25 sq kms and allow you to put up as many pops as you want in there. Would it also need to be exclusive licences per area or would other operators be allowed in ?

10 Km range NLOS basestation is Pi*(10 Squared) ...a circle.

we are talking 300 Square Kilometre Chunks Yellum.......

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

5.725-5.825Ghz is unlicensed for fixed wireless. see http://www.odtr.ie/docs/odtr0271.doc

5725 – 5875 M ** Wideband Data Transmission (Fixed) 100mW/MHz up to a maximum of 2W eirp TBA Registration of base-stations required

** Provision of services to the public is permitted. Public service provider is required to hold an appropriate Telecommunications Licence (ref. ODTR 98/44R)

Since Aperto uses 6Mhz channels, they will be limited to 600mW in Ireland, which will greatly reduce their coverage range from the 8 miles advertised for US installations. there are a total of 20 channels to choose from in the 5.7250-5.825 band to help avoid interference with other local networks.

Thanks fixer.

600Mw it is at 6Mhz from this document ODTR 02/49 Here page 25 .
    The Director will develop regulations under the Wireless Telegraphy (WT) Acts 1926 – 1988 to exempt from WT licensing certain FWA systems operating in the 5.8 GHz band. Exemption will be subject to a maximum EIRP (power spectral density) of 100 milliwatts within any contiguous 1 MHz bandwidth, up to a maximum total EIRP of 2 watts

600Mw is a lot more than they will allow at 5.5Ghz (the 802.11a band) where you will be limited to 100Mw unlicenced.

We'll see, things are really shovelling along with Wireless nowadays.

M

802.11a does not use 5.5Ghz anywhere.

The 5 GHz U-NII frequency bans is segmented into three 100 MHz bands for operation in the US. The lower band ranges from 5.15 -5.25 GHz, the middle band ranges from 5.25-5.35 GHz and the upper band ranges from 5.725-5.825 GHz.

Perhaps you are mistaking 802.11a for Hiperlan, which for outdoor/nomadic use is on 5.47 – 5.725Ghz at up to 1W eirp.

• Advertisement

yes, sorry Fixer.

If you have 802.11a kit (in use) in Europe it is probably not allowed because of the Hiperlan frequency allocation THis shows what is allowed in the US

The next link explains what is allowed in Europe

Here is another Explanation

This is smashing except for one small problem.There are very few Hiperlan products available whereas there are quite a few 802.11a products out there....illegal or not. The conundrum was predicted in this Article almost 2 years ago. Personally I have never seen a Hiperlan deployment and doubt I ever will because I think 802.11 has already won the war.

Comreg are obliged to reserve spectrum for Hiperlan (as the Irish arm of CEPT) until CEPT accepts the facts on the ground and goes 802.11a. That will take time ....during which things will hoperfully move on in other bands.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I thought they finally dropped Hiperlan or was it Home RF. I thought they threw in the towel. Oh no, actually it was some manufacturer that did that.

the confusion and idiocity of Hiperlan vs 802.11a is why Ireland has left 5.725-5.825Ghz fairly general in usage, only giving power limits (for the most part). doesn't matter if it's 802.11a or OFDM or a mix of protocols like Aperto uses.

802.11a kit from the US is mostly okay here, just not all channels. look at the frequencies used in the kit vs the frequencies allowed in Ireland, most of it matches up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

will this fry all our brains and give us cancer :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 joec

i take my hat off to u muck!!!! i dunno where u get all your info.............if my life depended on it and i needed some to debate for me it would most certainly be you....ever thought of becoming a researcher or a solicitor? or maybe even getting a job for haircom? :p

Advertisement