Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosbox... a cool dosbox emulator!

Options
  • 02-02-2003 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Today I tried a Dosbox emulator. DOSBox emulates a full x86 pc with sound and dos. It's main use is to run old dosgames on platforms which don't have dos(win2K/XP). I must say I'm impressed.

1) I ran the dosbox.exe
    2) specified a folder as my c:\ drive.
    3) specified a folder as my floppy.
    4) Took out my 4 dos Ultima Underworld I floppy and ran the installer.
    5) Ran Ultima Underworld I with sound (uses part of the VDMSound Project - legacy soundcard support).

I was able to tinker around with the settings such as:
    CTRL-F11 Slowdown emulation.
    CTRL-F12 Speedup emulation.

This made it as fast as it was my old 486DX2 with 8Mb back in '93. Woohoo! Now I only have a P3-850Mhz so
    if you try it... your p4 or AMD beastie machine might provide more mileage.... All in all... wow! Won't work with DPMI mode games though.

I rather liked UW1. I never completed it due to a item losing bug and back then getting patches (or knowing about them) was difficult. Nice to sample them though.

Try it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Needed to provide a screenshot of the fannnn-tasic graphics. Although the tune makes me want to go through it again. If only there weren't other distractions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Works great on Linux as well

just copy you dos game to your Linux Hard drive then set up you c drive pointing to game directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Rambo,

What distro and spec are you using for it? I'm currently using RH8.1 and a geforce 2 go chipset on a 1.8Ghz P4 laptop. Just wondering are you using a high end P4 for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

I am using Redhat 80 256m PT3 800 mhz
    Intel810 graphics 16mb

Playing Elite Frontier
    it is my work pc had a bit of fun at lunch time.

Advertisement