Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jason X

• 01-02-2003 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I just rented this out yesterday, and I really wasn't sure what to expect, as I heard a lot of bad things. Mainly from imdb.com, but as I've said before, imdb users are morons.

But OMG!
    What a film!

As stupid as the plot sounds, Jason in space really does work well, because the film really gets a chance to step away from the long stalking scenes of the series, which I found rather boring. Instead, we've a film that steals all the best aspects from Alien, Event Horizon and The Terminator unashamedly, and pulls it off brilliantly.

The special effects were a lot better than I would've expected from what is pretty much a low-budget afair. Nothing mind-blowing, but definetly worthy of some praise.

But it's great to know that the series definetly seems to have dropped the whole idea of Jason stalking about in the dark for a while, before moving into the kill, which is done to death. It's much more satisfying to see a more terminator-esque aproach with Jason pretty much being an unstoppable assailant chasing down his victims.

There's some seriously brilliant moments, that I really laughed out loud at. Nothing stupidly comedic about the film, mind you, it's just that some of the killings are done with just sheer sadism and cruelty, I find myself not able to hold back the laughter at something that I shouldn't really find funny at all. The "He's Screwed!" scene especially had me in bits.

Also, there's a great cameo by veteran director David Cronenberg.

And Lisa Ryder in skin-tight black PVC.

Oooh, missus!

Brilliant film altogether.
    I'm really looking farward to buying it on DVD soon.
    It seems like a film I could watch over and over again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

hmmmmm, was gonna give it a look anyway, but now i'll defo be renting it.

the trailer looks hillarious, "evil gets an upgrade" classic.

so we're at number 10, i'd say they're in for the big win, and trying to get to 13, just 3 more lads...........

........... but where do they go from here, i know he's supposed to be squaring up against oul pizza face, seperate i rekon.

go on ye boya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got it on Friday night. I actually enjoyed it too..... Good special effects, cheezy dialogue, uber-jason, Lexa Doig, loads of tongue in cheek humour ("You should have been there during the Microsoft conflict... we were beating each other with our own severed limbs!").

I also laughed out loud at the virtual reality bit at the end (with the girls in sleeping bags) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Slane

yeah,i saw jason x last friday.In fairness was expecting something god-awful,but what you get is preety damn good.i mean when you compare to the critters and leprechaun movies that are set in space this is the Citizen Kane of the sub-genre.There were some really great set-pieces though,and some great deaths,although it would be hard to top that first one(Liquid Nitrogen+ Head=ergh...what a mess).Although the 1980's holo-recreation came close with one of the funniest moments in horror movie history.(We love pre-marital sex!:D )

I was actually quite surprised to see it in my loacal xtra-vision after it was banned from our ickle irish cinemas.I rented it out the same night as Dog soldiers so my mates and i had a great night of hilarious horror.Last i checked Jason X will be available to buy sometime in April.But if you are really depserate i am sure they will be selling of the rental versions from extra vision in a few weeks.But...definatly a great movie.

"He only wanted his machete back!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Altho u say it's not stupidly comedic, to be fair it is which is why I liked it. They've finally admitted just how silly the franchise has got and gone for full-on piss-take in Jason X - only in an entertaining way, instead of a massively irritating and unfunny "This-is-a-really-clever-parody-this-is-we're-really-clever-we-are" way like Scream.

The original Friday 13th was the only one I can take seriously as an actual horror movie instead of a money-raking exercise, and a few of the sequels were good in parts, but this has to be the most entertaining Friday yet. Good old popcorn-munching fun, without the tired cynical feeling you get watching other Friday 13th movies. Finally there's the fact that it's genuinely funny. Definitely rent it if you've not seen it yet.

(official Zaph stamp of approval)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

ye, seen it, good show.

Advertisement