Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Challenge on C64 Emu

Options
  • 01-02-2003 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Right. Many games on the C64 can actually be completed. I propose we hold a little competition. Say, each person who wants to enter nominates 1 game. We all attempt to complete the game within 1 week and post a screenie of your final score or time or equivalent. The winner of that week gets to pick the following weeks game challenge.

What ye say ? My nomination is Impossible Mission.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

HMMmmm...Sounds like a bit of crack but I don't think the boss would like it;) Name your game young sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i say that andy capp game or maybe flimbos quest, or fiendish freddy's.

i think an atari st carier command competiton would be better. thats a game which would take a lot more than weeks to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Hmm, an AtariST Carrier Command Comp. Now that's intriguing. I'm going to brush off Steem Emu and have anotehr blast of it.

I remember I had a copy of Carrier Command in the ST only had no manual. So copy protection involved typing in "the" all the time. Worked eventually :)

Carrier command is one of my favorites from back in the day:) Lotus Espirt II could be a good one. Any of you folks use Kaillera?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Parallel - The shoot 'em up by Sensible software... you know the one with the "weirdest" (but much acclaimed) intro tune known to man.

Well, try that one. There are 4 worlds. I completed the 1st world (blue) and the 2nd one (green) but I never could get much further. Hmmm.. tempting now that can.... ahem.. save the game. :)

Carrier Command? I remember seeing screen shots of that but I always remember people swearing by how good it was. Wireframe like Mercenary was it?

• Advertisement

Wasn't wireframe. 3D stuff was filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, i got the aul carrier command with my Discovery Pack all those moons ago.

EXCELLENT GAME!

Okay. Must try this for real. Any wise words of advice to get a good start?

No real words of advice but....It's going to take you a LONG time to finish carrier command:D Defending your own Islands is hard work but taking an enemy Island is damn near impossible to do without losing half your manta's

This is a good site to take a look at the different versions of the game http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk/carrier/s.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

my strategy for taking enemy island was get as close as possible(beach the carrier if nessecary) and pummel away with the main gun. once everything was softened up lauch a manta with a virus bomb and another with the construction yoke. use the virus bomb to take down the command centre and straight away start building your own command centre. easy. i could never get my head around the supply chains though and always ran out of equipment before making any real dent onto the enemy. i was only 9 when i played it first though.

• Advertisement

Its strange to think I was only a kid myself when I started playing Carrier Command:) It does indeed make you wonder how you'd get on if you put the time into it now.
    I think it would be a bit of crack but i think it would be a laugh to get some Kaillera type server set up and get an emulation league going. Street fighter series etc

What do ye reckon is the best platform for playing this? Amiga, ST or C64? :) I think I might try my trusty C64 but the Amiga one looks nicer! :D

It's been years... well.... 1996 since I last touched a joystick... I know I know... but PCs well... the mouse & keyboard combo has worked well up 'til now.

You know another game that is nice to complete is Jumpman. Easy to start and get into too.

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    my strategy for taking enemy island was get as close as possible(beach the carrier if nessecary) and pummel away with the main gun. once everything was softened up lauch a manta with a virus bomb and another with the construction yoke. use the virus bomb to take down the command centre and straight away start building your own command centre. easy. i could never get my head around the supply chains though and always ran out of equipment before making any real dent onto the enemy. i was only 9 when i played it first though.

my strat was to wait til I was in range of the island and manually command a manta at full speed to the island, with missles on board. Changing alt and direction rapidly, until i found the command centre and WAHM!!! missles up your ass mofo.

yea, i was 9 r 10 myself playing it!

Can Kaillera be used for anything ? I'd love to play some Spy vs Spy I or II on C64 :)

Or how's about some Super Sprint or 4 player Gauntlet II on Mame ? That'd be class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

carrier command, far too many buttons to click, i think this game was abandoned in favour of sensible soccer on the amiga, looks like i missed out on a good game

i nominate Boulder Dash for the c64 competition thing

this game was pure gameplay, with the boulders falling and the little guy dashing, good tittle too

ah boulder dash!!!!!! had that on the old XL!!! class, theres a clone of it with a Linux Disto AFAIK too :)

that was such a cool game, still have the original tape somewhere!

Advertisement