Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line down again.. 4th time

Options
  • 01-02-2003 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭

My eircom line is down again, and ofcourse it goes down on a friday evening.. no chance of repair till monday. This is the 4th time its gone down on a thursday or friday in less than a year... infact it started when I swaped CPS to utv. I doubt utv have anything to do with the faults as their renting the line off eircom. I dont mean to start rumours but I never had any problems like this before I switched carrier ?

Is eircom just acting the pri*k ? or do I just have bad luck

anyone else's lines going down since swapping?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

As much as I dislike Eircom, I would put this down to coincidence, as I think it would be very unlikely that Eircom would deliberately break people's lines if they switch to a CPS carrier. They couldn't get away with doing that.

To get your line fixed as quickly as possible, keep calling the repair line, ask to speak to a supervisor if you get no satisfaction. I know for a fact that Eircom have vans driving around the country on Saturday, because one of our neighbours has had the same Eircom technician drive to his house and ask directions on several Saturday's. Don't give up. If they won't fix it this week, demand damages for having to use your mobile, loss of Internet and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

To get your line fixed as quickly as possible, keep calling the repair line, ask to speak to a supervisor if you get no satisfaction.

Heh, 'tis people like you that made working in a call centre a bloody nightmare. Ah well. As for eircom deliberately breaking lines? As Urban Weigl stated, no company would employ such tactics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

As for eircom deliberately breaking lines? As Urban Weigl stated, no company would employ such tactics.

Not unless they thought they'd get away with it.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Similar thing happening to me, we've had "noise" on the line since just before christmas, sometimes making phone calls impossible, and slowing down our Internet Connection too unusable speeds, numerous timeswe've reported it to Eircom, even when the idiot on the end of the line couldnt hear what I was saying to him because the "noise" on the line was so loud he insisted it wasnt a line fault and not Eircom's responsibility, he said after all "I was with UTV now" and if I wanted somebody to come out to the house it would be €60. It's not my equipment for sure, so were taking it further, contacted comreg etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Isn't there some sort of customer charter where they have to be ouy within the next x days or they have to pay you a sum of money, or is that just for initial installation. I'm sure its hidden in the phone book somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

he said after all "I was with UTV now"

UTV is only responsible if the noise is caused by a fault on their network, which is quite unlikely: most line faults are caused by simple wiring faults somewhere between the exchange and your phone(s).

and if I wanted somebody to come out to the house it would be €60

If that's exactly what he said, he's telling fibs or he's a moron (it's always hard to decide). Basically, these days Eircom will only accept responsibility if the fault occurs between the exchange and the location it comes into your house, i.e. not inside the house. In new houses, this is fair enough, because for the most part it's the builder that installs the internal wiring, not Eircom -- so it's up to either you or the builder to sort it out. In old houses Eircom may have installed it, and you didn't do something silly like chop the line in two with a scissors, it's still effectively their problem. The difficulty is with proving it.

But ultimately the assertion that you'd be charged €60 if you want someone to come out to your house is wrong -- I've had engineers out to my house and I haven't been charged, because even though the biddy that took my fault report swore blind that the line was fine, the fault was with the line, not the internal wiring.

You need to be pretty sure that it's not the internal wiring before you get someone out though.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Like dahamsta said ... make sure it is not something in your house ... unplug everything and check the line quality .. if you can, get your hands on someone elses phone to test you line ..
    I have seen telephone (and electrical twin and earth for a cooker) gnawed through by mice .. dead mice as it happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Like dahamsta said ... make sure it is not something in your house ... unplug everything and check the line quality .. if you can, get your hands on someone elses phone to test you line ..
    I have seen telephone (and electrical twin and earth for a cooker) gnawed through by mice .. dead mice as it happens :D

Another possibility is water!

I had this happen twice to me. There was so much static on the line, I couldn't even hear the Eircom person when I rang to complain. So I rang from another phone. She tested my original line - came back fine!!! The odd thing was that by now, the problem line was TOTALLY dead. Not even a geeks out of it. Told me the phone was wrong and she'd send another one in the post.

Eventually rang back and got someone with a brain cell. He sent an engineer on the Friday (rang late on Wednesday). Turns out the junction box in the ground in the back garden was wet. He replaced a plastic cover over the wires, but still couldn't get a signal. He fecked off at this stage (around 11am). By 4pm, he hadn't returned and I still didn't have a phone. Rang Eircom - "All engineers are finished work until Monday" Eircom person claimed they'd traced it to a 3rd party, but I'd have to wait until Monday - fault was notified the previous Wednesday!

Anyway, it was fixed on Monday morning quite early in fact. Interestingly though, there were 3-4 Eircom vans down the road on the Saturday morning. So, "some" engineers do work on Saturday. I wonder if I was shelling out €1000's per month for phone bills, would they fix it straight away??

It's true about the cutomer charter. I think that if they fail to fix a fault within 2 working days, you're entitled to next months rental free. Check a phone book to verify this.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

All this is exactly why I wouldnt use DSL for business applications....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

My line cut out on Saturday. I reported it to Eircom, who said they'd look into it. I had a vison of somebody in headquarters unplugging a fibre optic cable and peering into it to try and spot a blockage.

Anyway it came back to life later that night. And I was woken by a phone call at 10 to eight in the morning from Eircom Line Repair or some such to check all was well.

I answered in my best phone voice that all was fine and they hung up.

Then I looked at the clock and stopped being polite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement