Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps2 emulation news

Options
  • 01-02-2003 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Seems theres been some progress on this, or at least theres a few pics of progress that may or may not have been spoofed. Looks genuine enough tho :

http://pcsx2.ngemu.com/

Personally, i wasn't interested in ps1 emulation and i'm not interested in ps2 emulation. Fact of the matter is that downloading ps2 games isn't really an option and its far easier to just chip an actual ps2 and play it without having all this hassle. Same can be said for the ps1.

Its an achievement in emulation i suppose, all i'm waiting for now is the black suits from sony to turn up at this guys house and murder him :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

mk5.jpg

The writting on the pic looks its been written on after taking the screen shot .

Anyway even though some one does get their ps2 chipped what the point , where are they gonna get the games to copy ne way .

Xtravision :eek: ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Haven't seen this mentioned on any off the major emu sites. Looks a little crappy tbh. As far as I new emulation of comercial games was way off. As Placebo has pointed out the FPs etc look to have been tacked on after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Well the author is relatively respectable. And he doesn't claim to have a working game. He just claims to have gotten it to load the bios and start a load screen and then crash. So by those terms, hes actually nowhere :)
    As far as copying games, well these days unless you have a dvd-r and alot of cash, you won't be copying any games any time soon.
    But ps2 copies are hugely popular, most online stores don't charge much more than 8 dollars per DVD copy. (Not that i would know anything about that loike)

The above link is on retrogames.com, emu-zone and a good few of the other major emu sites. No one seems to be questioning that he managed it, most seem to be just uninterested or pointing out to the warez kiddies that getting to a loading screen isn't getting very far at all.

I would like to think its a big tho, isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by LoGiE
    As Placebo has pointed out the FPs etc look to have been tacked on after.
    I dunno about that, if you mean the fact that the fps is 0, that could be either because the guy paused the emulator before taking a pic, or (as someone mentioned) the guy was getting it as far as the loading screen before it crashed, or whatever :)

zynaps

• Advertisement

Originally posted by zynaps
    I dunno about that, if you mean the fact that the fps is 0, that could be either because the guy paused the emulator before taking a pic, or (as someone mentioned) the guy was getting it as far as the loading screen before it crashed, or whatever :)

zynaps

No I mean the details look stuck on afterwards....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the guy writing the gfx plugin is basing the cosmetic bit on pete bernets plugins for psx emulation.

if you press del while using one of them along the top of the screen data appears telling you the current plugin configuration and frame rate quite similar to what is shown in the picture.

anyway pcsx2 is written by the same people whole also done pcsx(a playstation emu that does not need a bios) so they are pretty reputable. couple that with the fact its been able to run psms(ps2 master system emulator) for months now i would tend to belive its real.

No I mean the details look stuck on afterwards....
    Well they're obviously not part of the game....
    That's just info the emulator displays about how the gfx plugin is working - most emulators have a feature like that that at least mention fps and frameskipping. :)
    Kind of like how when you press the volume button on your tv, it superimposes the control's graphic on the screen?
    Sorry to dumb it down, but ye asked for it ;)

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Looks like its still going to be a while tho
    Posted by Betamax here
    Please stop asking this. It will be a good few YEARS before one even surfaces too.

Also by demos we mean home made public domain animations downloadable from the net. Not demos of commerical games.

If you think you've found one, its more than likely a fake.

zynaps you asked for this you really did....
    mk5.jpg

Wonder if the author tacked anything on to this screen shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

mk5.jpg

Someones got TOO much time on their hands

Originally posted by djste18
    Someones got TOO much time on their hands

As anyone that uses photoshop will tell you to do what I did took about two minutes:) but it goes to show that anyone can make fake pictures of an emulator in next to know time at all. Well we know pcsx2 is real along with the screen shot but it still has a long way to go .

Well considering you could get a screen capture of the loading screen elsewhere, you could have done it in paint TBH.
    I don't see how you would really discern from a screenshot whether the tacked on gfx plugin info was tacked on by the emulator or by photoshop etc.... so I don't see the point in asking it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Ah come on lads , It looked photoshoped , ok , thats what me and loGie think , now if you dont , then fine , thats up to you .

and as for djste18 , speak for yourself , your the one whos a mod.
    No offence intended

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Now now! Feel the karma love buzz... its nice to see some progress coming on in the ps2 area but tbh its gona be a long long time id imagine before we get anything running a ps2 game to a high quality standard.

Originally posted by Placebo
    Ah come on lads , It looked photoshoped , ok , thats what me and loGie think , now if you dont , then fine , thats up to you .
    How the **** does it look "photoshopped"?
    How does it look in any way more fake than a loading screen from some game running on a working psx emulator with gfx plugin info on?

Is there some secret little mark or something, eh?
    ...Or are you just talking through your hole?
    pffffft. It's like saying a screenshot of a black screen is fake.
    There isn't enough data to come to a conclusion on the genuity of the picture or not.
    So let's just stop talking about it, because you're just annoying me now :P

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by Placebo
    and as for djste18 , speak for yourself , your the one whos a mod.
    No offence intended

None taken I just thought Logie had better things to do thats all.
    I do waste an awfull amount of time on here and elsewhere.

And I think PS2 emulation is a few years away at least.
    You'll need a damn fast machine to run it.

Now as Ronan|Raven says can we all stop bickering over the true/false screenshot and get back to discussing the emulating of the PS2

Originally posted by zynaps
    Well considering you could get a screen capture of the loading screen elsewhere, you could have done it in paint TBH.
    I don't see how you would really discern from a screenshot whether the tacked on gfx plugin info was tacked on by the emulator or by photoshop etc.... so I don't see the point in asking it :)

FLAMEBAIT
    Now go away....
    Any chance this thread could be locked Ronan?

Well the thread has pretty much ran its course. Evolving from a cocoon into a beautiful Butterfly and then withering away... I wont lock it yet unless there are more flaming posts appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

It will be a long time before we see a full playstation 2 emulator

Remember the PC is just a 32 bit machine
    The Playstation 2 is a 128 bit machine like what you see in the modern arcade machine..
    Plus it uses the Emotion Chip which will be hard to emulator..
    Well check out the spec of Playstation 2
    http://www.absolute-playstation.com/ps2_hardware/system_playstation2_tech.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Hehehehe, yes, i hear this _emotion_ chip can become unhappy if you try to emulator it :)

bugs - much alike the emotion chip, very unhappy that he attempted to fill ppl in on emu news :P

FLAMEBAIT
    Now go away....
    Any chance this thread could be locked Ronan?
    If anyone came up with 'flamebait', it was you doctoring the claimed snapshot in the first place, I was just saying there is no real way we can come to any conclusion on whether or not the picture was fake.

So you go away. :)

zynaps

Right thread is locked now! No more petty flaming in future thx.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement