Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another "anyone know the name of......"

Options
  • 01-02-2003 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

It was a sideways scroller, with a man in what I can only describe as a jet pack thingy, and basically you just flew along shooting things and picking up upgrades to your jet pack, new weapons etc....

Very sparse description I know, but thought I'd chance my arm.

Cheers.

Gav.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Wasn't Excelsor was it ?
    lookin at the cassette now
    it reads
    Equipped only with your
    Excelsor Jetpack, you
    must rescue the human
    'Soul Stars' trapped and
    hung suspended in space by an alien force.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

A format would help. Arcade? Speccy? C64?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Well I had it on Atari 800xl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sounds like Retrograde to me (or possibly Forgotten Worlds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

A format would help. Arcade? Speccy? C64?

Oops sorry, it was an arcade machine. I've checked out some of the tiltes already mentioned at mame, and they don't appear to be the game I'm talking about, or else my mind is playing tricks on me. Nevermind, thanks anyways guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Turrican ?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I think I actually had this, and may still have it in the attic. I cannot remember the name ATM, but will have a look tomorrow. I think it was one of those Mastertronic budget games, and I could never get my head around it. Definitely on 800XL though.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Maybe it was Dropzone
    Atari800xl version was the best
    I really loved the game something like defender but better

The one I am thinking of was ________ Hero, or ________ Soldier. Can't recall. Yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Dre says it's an arcade machine. I'm with Pigman on Forgotten Worlds. If someone asked me to describe it I'd say its a sideways scroller, with a man in a jet pack and you just flew along shooting things and picking up upgrades. Maybe you remember the manufacturer? Capcom, Taito etc on cabinet artwork on in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Was it Sidearms ?
    Here's some pics:
    Click Here

Also, may have been Xain'd Sleena :
    Click Here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

DropZone, or some other game that has Jet in the title: Jet ____

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

...... it may have been sidearms ! I'll have to report back when I find it and play it.

Many thanks to all who replied , I have a few more titles now on my search list.

Cheers

Gav.

I reckoned that might be it alright...

I used to play it in a crappy little chipper in Ballymahon....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by deadl0ck
    I reckoned that might be it alright...

I used to play it in a crappy little chipper in Ballymahon....
    Remember those weird hacks of sf2ce you used to find in chippers and such? There were loads of them, but only a few (rb, rb2, v004, accp2, red I think) made it to romsets for mame.
    Anyone know where and how they turned up in the first place?
    Some of them were fun :)

zynaps

I think the original hacks were so yo could play as the boss characters, i.e Balrog, Vega, Sagat and M.Bison. Then SFII:Champion Edition was officially released. Also, a lot of the hacks were for turbo mode and extra special moves...remember that one where ruy could throw 2 fireballs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Nah I don't think the World Warrior was ever hacked, at least, when messing around with MAME, it reset itself every time if you changed your character to any of the 4 bosses, anyone else was fine.
    Strangely enough though, it has a defeated picture of M.Bison, which you only see if you play as him and are defeated, which you can't do... maybe it just doesn't have the code for associating the controls with their moves, although it seemed easy to hack the SNES version of the WW.

Anyway, in every hack of the championship edition I saw (as far as I remember), you were able to do special moves in mid-air, and most had things like multiple fireballs, sometimes from one move, being able to switch character by pressing 1p/2p start, and sometimes things like chun li's many-kick yoke being done in the same way as ken/ryu's fireball, along with fireballs coming out of her kick (...?) and e honda/blanka's respective moves.
    In fact lots of moves had ken/ryu fireballs come out of them for some reason... chun li's hurricane kick, balrog's running punches, etc... weird stuff :)
    It was kinda interesting playing some of the more LSDlike ones, where throwing people would involve the first player doing the throw motion, and the other player just walking away then suddenly falling, or blocking the throw...

It's probably weird that I'd find something like that interesting, but there ye go... only a few of the (less f'ked up) hacks of sf2ce made it into mame's romsets, so... yeah. :)

zynaps

Advertisement