Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A word of praise?!? NO!

Options
  • 31-01-2003 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Originally posted by Dustaz
    If not, then ComReg are really starting to impress me. In a matter of months we are seeing movement in friaco, broadband, uso matters and now this.

I know that a lot of this stuff was underway beforehand, but they really seem to be following through on this stuff and not dropping the ball.

Ok, I may not post much but I read most of what goes on here. My personal opinion is that the powers that be are not getting enough praise for what they are doing. In all fairness, more has happened for broadband and friaco than has happened in the last ten years.

Things are moving now. I would really love to see IOFFL send a word of thanks to what has been done so far. An appreciation always goes a long way. And helps raise spirit for the cause. But please, I think that a word of encouragement would do much more good than harm.

A letter to COMREG or the minister would mean a lot. We all like to be praised for what we do and a word of praise also makes us work harder. I'm sure most of us know this from the workplace but I want to recognise what has happened since december as being a huge step in the right direction. Fair played to IOFFL and the Minister and comreg and all. Soon the solution will be here.

With enough communication and enough sense, FRIACO and broadband seem to be coming to us. And although the comms in the country have been strangled for a long time, finally they are catching up. I would love to disregard the negativities for one moment to recognise how far we have come.

I'm not saying give up the fight but credit where credit is due.

Am I the only one seeing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Most of the problem is as a regular of these board im sure you and most of us have heard the promises before, basically it comes down to spin overdose and until we can actually hold a product in our hands so to speak many of us will remain reserved about getting exited again.
    Your point being they deserve a slap on the back and when they do produce the goods ill happily oblige and when i say goods i mean when they stop descussing with Eircon and start telling them with conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating"
    thats aspecially true of any telecoms related news here
    by all means congratulate comreg (odtr 2) for making the right
    noises now, noises they could have made three years ago!
    the sudden display of backbone is most gratifying if belated
    it's ioffl who have been poking and proding the telcos showing
    up the lies and falsehoods.
    it's Eircomtribunials inspired site which has presented the true facts
    of the miserible results of making a public utility into a private
    monopoly with no safegaurds.
    congratulate comreg for FRIACO and cheaper adsl if they appear
    but put them third inline not first!

wormhole

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Too right, when they deliver more then promises I'll be the first to say well done. It *seems* to be going the right way but when I can buy the product thats when a difference has been made. Until then its just spin-doctoring...

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It'll be interesting to see the next quarterly report.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

Praise? for what? For having a little bit more Broadband then the Greeks?
    Broadband Internet Penetration in Europe
    or for paying the triple amount for it as the rest of the world:
    ADSL prices (And there is nothing cheaper available as of yet - only hot air and press releases)

Or for being online on average per month per citizen, a little bit more then the Brazils:
    eircomtribunal charts

Again: Praise? For what?

Maybe for UTV Internet: For their courage to bring out a FRIACO-resembling product on their own risk, which I am sure, costs errcom already a fortune in lost revenue from over-prized low-quality dial-up Internet access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Well put Adam - as far as I can make out it is all smoke screens and mirrors....

The is NO eircom ressie offer yet and NO FRIACO yet.............. when they arrive and at the right price , I'll say "well done".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Yes we see alot of anouncement and directives being issued and even some beatings on other issues to errcom..
    but our primary objective is not a reality yet!
    Effort v Results..
    we have to wait and see if the dogs got teeth or if its just licking the meat! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have to wonder if the comregs new found back bone is due to Isolde Goggin and her background with the Competition Authority.

Comreg seems much more interested in the needs and wants of the consumer now, as opposed to the ODTR when the focus seemed to be on the operators.

Come on, keep up the good work and lets see some results.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Perhaps Comreg have joined us in Phylum Vertabrae...
    I know I've been living in fear of *the* legal letter since IOFFL came here hyuk hyuk!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

They don't deserve praise yet but when they do I'll write a letter:

Well done Comreg, except you Etain and your €157k a year salary and €70k a year pension and €200k + retirement lumpsum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It is a little premature to praise Comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

I'm waiting until they've forced eircom to deliver wholesale rates based on costs for an efficient operator. Asking eircom to do something is easy, making them do it is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I think most people are being a bit hard on ComReg.

As i have said before, they have already done a great deal more than any of us expected them to do.

Not happy? Would you rather go back to the days when the ODTR just said "nothing we can do, at all, sorry" ? Would you rather go back to the days when ministers didnt know broadband from a hole in the ground?

Look, Ive been seeking FRIACO and broadband for close to eight years and its NEVER been CLOSE to where we are now. This could never have happened without Ireland Offline but Comreg have played thier part in bringing this situation about also and they are to be commended for that. Wait untill it all falls flat on its face before damning them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Wait untill it all falls flat on its face before damning them.

Wait until it produces something tangible before congratulating them.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

what the hell have we got to thank them for?

WE ARE PAYING THEIR WAGES YET THEY HAVE SCREWED US FOR YEARS!

Its unacceptable that we have to form a pressure group to get what France, Germany etc get without that hassle

btw if Fianna Fail ever delivered on the 5mbps by 2004 or whatever the promise was I would change the habit of a lifetime and vote for them

even though that would make me feel physically sick

seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Read Mucks post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79195&highlight=On

Starting with the sentence that begins with On (highlighted in red)

Comreg trying to exclude IOFFL from lodging appeals ....

Still like to praise them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

If anything the Govt, ComReg, Eircom, NTL etc should be humbly and abjectly grateful to us for pointing out what a useless, incompetent, greedy, ignorant, waste of skin they are

We are doing them a service - and not even invoicing for it! :)

As Al Pacino's character in Glengarry Glenross points out to his boss; "you are here to help us - not to f#ck-us-up"

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Wait untill it all falls flat on its face before damning them.

Wait until it produces something tangible before congratulating them.

adam

Honestly, did you come up with that on the spur of the moment or did it take a few minutes to think up?

Advertisement