Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom pings get even worse..

Options
  • 30-01-2003 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

Before new year I used to ping around 65-75 to uk servers, but ever since new year i've been pinging another 10 ms. This such bollox, now it's even less playable. When I asked them about interleaving they didn't want to change it at all. Saying "it has come to our conclusion that most of our customers prefer it turned on". Yea cause most of your customers don't even know wtf it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Will other operators be able to turn off interleaving if they wish when March rolls around?
    Latency is certainly high on my list of reasons to go broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ask Via , ESAT have it turned off anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Muck
    ask Via , ESAT have it turned off anyway.
    VIA can only request that Eircom do it. And their answer from Eircom is almost certainly going to be the same as Eircom give to their own customers.

BTW, I can't say that I've noticed any change in my latency since it was installed in September. Can you pinpoint the additional latency with traceroute?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Right i dont know if this has nething to do with higher dsl pings, but ive noticed that the 4th hop within the Eircom network tends to spike (up to 270). Also the pings on isdn have risen 5-10ms.

I know its different technology but woiuldnt they use the same routing once they hit the ISP? It might just be the routing has gotten worse or is handling more load?

Then again i could be talking **** :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

1 57 ms 49 ms 49 ms c104-1.bas1.prp.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.104.1]
    2 59 ms 59 ms 49 ms fe0-1.edge1.prp.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.105]
    3 59 ms 59 ms 49 ms pos1-0.btr1.cra.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.145]

4 79 ms 75 ms 79 ms pos0
    00.core1.thn.london.eircom.net [159.134.191.98]
    5 79 ms 79 ms 79 ms lon1-9.nildram.net [195.66.224.59]
    6 79 ms 79 ms 77 ms jolt-gw.nildram.net [195.149.20.126]
    7 79 ms 79 ms 79 ms clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11]

The one to london eircom used to be 67-70

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

could be

1. Link from Dublin to Telehouse North is busy...need more bandwidth pronto.

and/or

2. Router in Dublin (and/or) London needs a reboot late at night when all is quiet.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by melachi
    Before new year I used to ping around 65-75 to uk servers, but ever since new year i've been pinging another 10 ms. This such bollox, now it's even less playable. When I asked them about interleaving they didn't want to change it at all. Saying "it has come to our conclusion that most of our customers prefer it turned on". Yea cause most of your customers don't even know wtf it is.
    Explaine what it is please? I never heard of it before.

OHP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This belongs in Nets/Comms.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

well, i was waiting to see if anything interesting regarding interleaving came up. Most of my questions have been answered at this stage tho.

Leaving it here for one more day, so unless Muck wades in with some light reading, ill move it to nets/comms tommorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

More one for Broadband I would have thought, but what do I know...

Interleave and a number of other issues are decently covered at this page by Karl Jeacle, as pointed out by dahamsta a few days ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement