Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Spy: Eurovision to expand to two nights?

Options
  • 30-01-2003 3:02pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Something that Damien is sure to enjoy!

DigitalSpy are reporting that the Eurovision Song Contest is to go to two nights. This is to allow all entrants to participate. (Thus alleviating the problem that there's no incentive to watch when your own country is not taking part).

The question being: is Europe ready for two nights of Eurovision?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Dear god, its true....

"Treated"... more like subjected...

EBU-UER Press Release

Eurovision Song Contest 2004

The Eurovision Song Contest, one of the best known television events in Europe, is expanding to become even bigger and better. From May 2004, viewers will be treated to a two-night event across Europe. No country which wishes to participate will be excluded.

Traditionally, the three-hour show, coordinated by the European Broadcasting Union, dominates television screens across Europe and beyond. More than 20 countries come together for one night to showcase their musical talent in front of a potential audience of more than 100 million people, as far as Australia, Hong Kong and the United States.

This competition has been a star-maker since 1956. Céline Dion, Julio Iglesias and Abba all made their name thanks to the Eurovision Song Contest.

Although a record 26 countries will be competing in the Eurovision Song Contest 2003 to be held in Riga, far more would have liked to take part.

Up to now most countries have been forced to take turns on the sidelines, unable to participate in this European phenomenon. But, from next year on, a qualifier round on the Friday will select the best of the hopefuls to go forward to the Grand Final the following evening.

All countries taking part in the Qualifier will be able to cast their vote for the overall winner by the traditional televoting procedure which is also a very popular part of the event.

www.ebu.ch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, I am.... its one way of dealing with the ever-swelling numbers of countries wishing to take part. As long as the make up and style of the Saturday night show doesn't change, I'm for it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

oh yay, 2 nights of being all cultural and watching this glorious event with the rest of Europe instead of the 1 night. how will we all cope with the excitement

* sarcasm included in this post. it is good for fans of the event and it also means 2 nights of the pub for those who have to leave the house to avoid it. why do some members of my family insist on watching it?

The money looks tight in Latvia.....

Cash row 'will not halt Eurovision'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2712857.stm

Organisers insist this year's Eurovision Song Contest will go ahead, despite fears it could be halted over lack of funds.
    The contest is being held in the Baltic state of Latvia, where host city Riga had threatened to slash funding because of a spending row with the country's government.

But a Eurovision Song Contest spokesman said there "can be no doubt" the contest will take place at the Skonto Hall in Riga on 24 May.

The city landed the show after jazz singer and law graduate Marie N became the first contestant in Latvian history to win last year.

Doubts about Latvia's ability to pull off the glitzy show began to surface almost as soon as last year's final, in neighbouring Estonia, was over.

The Latvian government had allocated 5.7 million lats (£6m) to the event.

But Riga City Council threatened to chop its promised contribution after being criticised by the government for a vast budget deficit.

Latvian TV director general Uldi Grava insisted the row would not disrupt the contest.

"I regret that announcements by separate Latvian institutions and officials have caused a very negative response in the foreign media," he said.

"We are confident that the Riga City Council deputies will make a positive decision, and the Eurovision Song Contest in Latvia and Riga will be a bright event."

From next year the show, which made stars of Celine Dion, Abba and Julio Iglesias, will expand to become a two-night event across Europe.

Traditionally the three-hour show, which is co-ordinated by the European Broadcasting Union, dominates television screens across Europe and beyond.

More than 20 countries come together for one night to showcase their musical talent in front TV audiences worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Oh Please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO!!!

I actually don't mind it over one evening but doing it over two I think will kill it altogether.

• Advertisement

Hey! Thats my Song Contest you're talking about! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's not often that DS have cold news but I read about the expansion to two nights a few months back. On one of those "Eurovision is great sites" put up by someone from Cyprus (don't ask!). I didn't post it as I didn't think anyone else would give a flying monkey. Still makes reality shows look like great TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Think i'll just go right ahead and slit my wrists now. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only by a day, mind. :D

More Eurovision news.

'Far-right' Eurovision singer dropped

Trouble in Belgium, apparently. It was on MediaGuardian yesterday, now she's been deselected.

Mind, the Eurovision has had its fair share of political controversies down the years, this is the first one I can remember for a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement