Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin taxi drivers plan half-day airport stoppages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Wow, I didn't know that was still going! I guess I remember now when i sometimes have conversations with them a lot of it is on the deregualation.

What is their problem? Still the fact that there are loads too many taxis around? or tha fact that their licences aren't worth a small/or big retirement over?

edit - the statement is over "double jobbing". Hmm sure - double jobbing was bound to happen after such a cut in taxi licence fees. People can now afford to part time taxiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Reminder. Article below.

It struck, is it better to have criminals working as taxi drivers and having their time occupied and them having a regular income or have them committing more crime?

Little disruption as taxi strike goes ahead
    Monday, 3rd February, 2003

As few as 10 taxi drivers have mounted a picket at the roundabout at the entrance to Dublin Airport in the first of a series of strikes at the airport.

The stoppage appears to have had little affect on passengers travelling into Dublin city so far.

The taxi drivers are SIPTU members and have halted work in protest against what they claim is a rising number of new taxi drivers who are engaged in criminal activity.

The work stoppage started at 9 a.m. and is expected to end at 1 p.m.

A SIPTU Dublin taxi drivers' official, Mr Jerry Brennan, said: "Drivers are asking questions about their ability to continue making a viable living from driving a taxi. Their working conditions are now seriously under threat as the industry becomes completely unregulated".

The next stoppage is planned for tomorrow evening, from 7 p.m. - 11 p.m., to be followed by a further stoppage on Monday, February 10th, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bump:

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/252915?view=Eircomnet

He said the campaign of stoppages at Dublin Airport would continue - next Monday 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. and Tuesday evening 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. He also warned that a proposal to escalate their action could be agreed at a meeting of SIPTU drivers next week.

Advertisement