Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much to do up gaf?

Options
  • 29-01-2003 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

i'm thinking of buying a gaf, its a 2 bed and not that big.

can someone give me a rough estimate on the following, ta.

1. small ensuite

2. small extension

3. where's best place to get furniture, lots of folk seem to be heading to ikea in the uk, is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

1. small ensuite

A small ensuite will cost you between 2-3k depending on its situation:
    will it be on an outside wall?
    Will it need a pump to remove waste?
    What fixtures you go for.
    2. small extension
    A small extension? How long is a piece of string?
    Depends on size,
    roof construction ie flat, hipped, gable, type of slates,
    is it to be plumbed/wired,
    foundations
    single/ two story. The list is endless.

QUOTE] 3. where's best place to get furniture[/QUOTE]
    As for furniture, Ikea has some unusual stuff which is why people go over with a van, stock up and come home. If the place is to be rented out then you can get reasonable 'furniture packages' from most dept stores. I'd be more inclined to spend some time looking in different shops for specific items of furniture if it is for yourself - it all depends on where u are.

Probably not a lot of help, but if you are interested in the place then get a builder to go down with you to see the house and give you an estimate.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

ta milkman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

if you are thinking of buying a place with the express intention of adding an extention you should check the likelyhood of planning permission being granted or you might get lumbered with a property you are unable to develop.

good point, Clintons Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

If the extension is at the back and:
    1/ does not come above the existing roof structure
    2/ Is smaller than 40m2

Then you do not need planning - checked it recently for exactly the same reason!

M.

• Advertisement

cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Where this place (roughly), and are you going to do the work yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

There's a very useful book known as SPONs Guide which is used by surveyors to price jobs. Basicly it contains a list of charges to do specific things, ie hang door £30 etc.

While it is a very expensive book, it might be available in you local library.

cool, bro's a builder, but he's down in wexford, but he said one of his builder buddies would look at the gaf for me, so thats ok, i wouldn't have a clue.

Advertisement