Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Congestion Charge in London

Options
  • 29-01-2003 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

So I'm wondering if there's any Londoners out there with views on the congestion charge, due to come into effect in February.

Are you within the charging zone? Is it going to affect how you get about town? Do you think it's too much? Think it's going to improve congestion / pollution, etc?

Personally, it won't affect me greatly as I don't drive, in fact I've hardly been in a private car in London in the last year. But I do think five squid a day is too much, 3.50 would be better I'd say. And I worry about whether the system (operated by Crapita, who've screwed up many an outsourced public sector contract before) will be able to handle the demand.

Plus I don't know if the bus and Tube systems are ready to handle the extra load.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I walk to work, so Im laughin' (altho I have to move AGAIN as the bird who owns our house is selling it) So wont effect me for now anyway; and I think there is far too much traffic on the streets.
    I think there is a public perception that the busses are always packed, which is waffle as far as I can see. When ever i need to get a bus I never have to wait too long and 9 times out of 10 there is a seat.

The charge is worth a go for a year or two at the very least. Its better than sitting back and talking about it for 5 more years...

Bob Geldof is right, £5 is too little -> should be more but with big discounts for bulk buying tickets..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah I think the bus service is fine too - although it's a different story when the tube strikes are on. I don't doubt that getting a taxi is going to be a pain in the arse from this point on. I have no idea why anyone would want to drive into London anyway - it's like Stephen's Green on a bad rush hour on a rainy Monday all the time.

Advertisement