Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

KIA cars?

Options
  • 27-01-2003 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Are they any good? I am thinking of getting one. They look OK don't cost too much and you seem to get a lot for your money. Has anyone got any good or bad stories or experiences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never driven one but as a "buy and forget" car you could do worse.
    They come with a generous warranty I think and I imagine they have good reliability. The biggest minus might be if you intend to run one from new for say two or three years, I bet they get hit by depriciation. I bet thier trade in value esp with a diff car company dealership is awful.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The motoring journalists say they're awful cars, but they're spoilt (the bastards ;) ). Don't expect it to be as refined (read : good) as a bigger brand but you get what you pay for.

For my tuppence - I won't touch one with a very long pole, and I drive an awful banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Thanks for the thoughts. They do look very plain on the inside but still seem like good value. I reckon you're right Mike, I don't think the resale value will be good.

Need to do more thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

You'll get a lot of car for the money, but they're not as well engineered as the best European/Japanese cars. They tend not to spend too much on interior materials either - think early-mid 80's Japanese really - reliable and well put together, but not a great drive, and cheap feeling.

If you don't live to drive, and intend to keep the car for a while, you could do worse.

I wouldn't buy one myself if I had a choice, but they're not bad cars. If you can stretch your budget a bit, Hyundai are worth a look - they're starting to get pretty decent reviews these days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Chimaera
    You'll get a lot of car for the money, but they're not as well engineered as the best European/Japanese cars. They tend not to spend too much on interior materials either - think early-mid 80's Japanese really - reliable and well put together, but not a great drive, and cheap feeling.

If you don't live to drive, and intend to keep the car for a while, you could do worse.

I wouldn't buy one myself if I had a choice, but they're not bad cars. If you can stretch your budget a bit, Hyundai are worth a look - they're starting to get pretty decent reviews these days.

Actually Hyundai and Kia are part of the same company now.
    And as for Kia they are going to be quite big in the next few years or so.
    Hyundai would be my first choice over the 2.Mainly because they are established here a bit longer and so far this year they are seventh in car sales overall.Ahed of Fiat,Citroen,peugeot etc.

What Kia car were you looking at?????Because if you take Kia/Hyundai they each have a car which is almost identical to the other marque
    .And you can usually play a Kia dealer against a Hyundai one to get the best price.Also Korean warranty is 3 years and some cases as much as 5 for a bit extra which is excellent.
    Richie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by Hellrazer

What Kia car were you looking at?????
    Richie

I was looking at the Shuma. You get a lot for the money but it does look a bit s**t on the inside, you know, a bit plain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bunghoe

I have a KIA and it has been the most reliable car I have owned. I have had Renaults, Opels, Fiats, Fords ,KIA is a very basic but trouble free car

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bunghoe wrote: »
    I have a KIA and it has been the most reliable car I have owned. I have had Renaults, Opels, Fiats, Fords ,KIA is a very basic but trouble free car

Please read the charter and don't resurrect old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement