Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 11MB access all areas

Options
  • 25-01-2003 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭

Yes, full broadband net access at broadband speeds to be launched early in February.

To business customers.

In urban areas (dublin, cork, galway, limerick) around hotspot sites.

But you can pay with pay-as-you-go vouchers.

But you don't want to know what they're charging.

Oh right you might.
    10 quid an hour.
    Heh heh. Cheap at half the price as eircon might say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Unless there are bandwidth usage caps, that works out at... about 4.6 gigs per hour? I might be wrong there, kbits/mbits are kinda annoying (bits per second = baud = signal level changes per second? = .125 bytes per second?)...

If this is the case, it might be useful if you wanted to download something massive without having to spend a number of weeks doing it :)

Compared to the equivalent time at the maximum speed you could get on dialup (assuming 48kbps, the average I get on nolimits), this would take about 220 hours.
    If you were being charged by the hour for this by eircom, it'd obviously be less worth it :)

Still stupidly expensive though, and obviously not practical as a real broadband solution as you're not only paying for how long you're online, you're paying a horrible amount for it... 240 euros a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Also, maximum throughput on wifi is about 6Mbps anyway. And of course if you aren't the only one using it, you are sharing the bandwidth and all this is assuming the AP is backed by at least 6Mbps all the way to a decent gateway, which is very unlikely.
    I went into the Four Seasons in Ballsbridge a while ago. It is the only registered hotspot in Ireland. You can sign up for access for the day for 20 Euros. Not cheap unless you have a huge amount to download or a whole days work to do. Still, it's a better option than O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

4 seasons is one of several sites o2 are using for the trial. Others are Bewleys, Jurys, Westbury, Shelbourne and believe it or not Heuston station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Is it all Jury's Inns countrywide that are trialling this system? I can see one of the Cork Jury's Inns from my window (it's about 200m away).......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The inns don't cater to the market they're looking to penetrate. They're looking at multinationals, corporates, and tech companies whose employees will already be using wireless access.
    There are a few minor bog hotels that will be trialling it but I don't know the names.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Aren't they going into Railway and Bus Stations too or is that Errorcom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by yellum
    Aren't they going into Railway and Bus Stations too or is that Errorcom ?
    Eircom are doing something...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

errorcom are about to start trialling it for free in hotels and conference centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

'skanger free internet café with no wires'

kinda bizniss model

Inspiring .....not.

Advertisement