Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL distance limit from exchange

Options
  • 24-01-2003 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭

I've just been refused ADSL from ESAT as I am "too far" from the exchange, in that I was outside the 2 mile limit.

When Eircon first introduct ADSL I vaguely remember some figures up to between 3 and 3.5 miles.

Now I know the line could be shagged anyway, but that aside does anyone in the know - know if this 2 mile limit is realisitic or just self imposed ?

Thx

DaZ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afair, the technical limit on distance for DSL to be used is 5.5km.

The problem is that the maximum speed increases as you get closer to the exchange. In theory, someone who lives beside the exchange could easily get a DSL connection in excess of 10Mbits, but telcos don't work that way. Telco's like to offer fixed bandwidth products.

So if they are offering a 512Kb service, this means that everyone who are only close enough to avail of DSL at speeds lower than 512Kb can't get the product, and those close enough to the exchange are limited to 512 Kb, despite possibly being able to get a much much faster connection.

Such is life :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

search for posts on RADSL as this would explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Eircoms DSL is up to 3.5 km which is about 2 miles i think you will find that when they start to sell more and the product gets more devoloped you line will pass in the future i reckon.

I know people that have DSL and where told they would never get it at the start but now they have it

Ask them to test in a Month or ask eircom to test your Line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Getting my km and miles mixed up ;(

Thanks guys

DaZ.

Advertisement