Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.05pm today Una McGirr Esat-Bt and David Long

Options
  • 24-01-2003 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

confirmed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Good Stuff dave.

I thought nobody was going to mention the importance of 56k Flat-Rate as well...But you slipped it in nicely :)

--
    How many Directors of Communications had Esat had in the last 2 years or so??

their staff turnover is massive it appears!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm a bit disappointed with that. It seems the presenter was only asking for bloody technical advice from IOFFL while Esat bashed Eircom before blowing esats own trumpet about the fact it's launched it's residential DSL product. What wasn't pointed out is the product is half the bloody speed for more then half the price. If people new this they wouldn't be impressed at all by a statement like that. At least David managed to get a bit in in FRIACO but Una McGirr didn't say a word and it was quickly brushed away.

It might also have been an Idea to have mentioned the fact that flatrate and DSL are not New/Pie in the sky future advancements mentioned by an ex-Minister but a reality. A reality everyone else in Europe has been enjoying for years!! Broadband rollout does not need to be a slow process but as Una has pointed out Esat will now be entering "discussions" that can last weeks months....whatever. Oh dear Are we going to see a reversal were it's Esat holding up the rollout of DSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Where's the meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by eth0_
    Where's the meeting?

It was a radio interview with George Hook on Newstalk 106FM in Dublin as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I agree with your point Logie, that any media pieces tend to be a brief "educate the masses" before any policy and lobbying issues are discussed.

Until the public get the requisite (technicial) info, that will tend to be the tone for interviews etc. Having said that, Dave is more than qualified to do this :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm a bit disappointed with that.

Same here I'm afraid.

It seems the presenter was only asking for bloody technical advice from IOFFL

Precisely, and it seemed to be more for the benefit of Hook than his listeners. It seemed very ill-prepared too, i.e. all the questions Dave was forced to answer could have been summed up in a short statement. (Perhaps next time a fact sheet could be provided to the researcher beforehand.) The sad thing about this is that the social and business issues were all but buried in technical spiel that frankly bored me, never mind the majority of listeners. I was banging me head off the wall here. :)

while Esat bashed Eircom before blowing esats own trumpet about the fact it's launched it's residential DSL product

Una also lost at least two opportunities to win points for Esat BT, which was quite disappointing; and Hook rolled her over a barrel when he implied that Esat BT were being selfish by objecting to Eircom's plan while still selling their own services -- all she had to say in response was that Esat BT were "providing these services using [their] own equipment".

Una sounds kinda sexy though. Did ye go for a pint afterwards Dave? :)

adam

Advertisement