Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESAT DSL and multiple Pc's

Options
  • 24-01-2003 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I'm thinking about getting the current ESAT DSL offering (the 256k one) on the assumption that it will go to 512k once the wholesale pricing issue is sorted out. One of the T&C's on the ESAT product is that its single user. Does anyone know if its possible to get more than on PC on at the same time? THe DSL modem they supply has a USB port but I'd like one with an ethernet so that I can connect up a wireless hub etc.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

I'd say this is a net/coms issue rather then Irelandoffline

if you get a ethernet modem with the esat package and you want to use a wireless router behind it the router would have to be capable of establishing a PPPoA or PPPoE connection (i am not sure what encapsulation type esat use) and this would have to make the connection and and that point it could be shared at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Just buy a DSL Ethernet modem with builtin router and 4 10/100 ports. I think ESAT uses PPPOE so it must support that.
    But if its in their T/Cs then they might come after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by bricks

But if its in their T/Cs then they might come after you.

how would they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Originally posted by bricks
    I think ESAT uses PPPOE so it must support that.

The residential package from esat uses pppoa not pppoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by Snaga
    The residential package from esat uses pppoa not pppoe.

Just out of interest, what's the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'd find out for definite if they're planning to raise the 256k to 512k when the new wholesale thing is bashed out. And get it in writing.

Or wait and see what happens with UTV etc :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Balfa
    Just out of interest, what's the difference?
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,5200027~root=pppoe~mode=flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

I agree with PiE..

I think anyone considering getting DSL should put it on hold for at least a few more weeks whilst the Wholesale rate is being sorted out. The suggested rate of €28 by Eircom in the SPB today suggests UTV or another competitor will be able to knock quite a few shillings off Eircom's price and perhaps drop the cap...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by David C
    The suggested rate of €28 by Eircom in the SPB today suggests UTV or another competitor will be able to knock quite a few shillings off Eircom's price and perhaps drop the cap...

Hmmm, €28 wholsesale would be quite nice but this is Eircom we're talking about here so I honestly can't see it being that low.

Still, if this were true..... C'MON UTV, give us ADSL with no cap for €40. You know you want to. ;) Even ADSL for that price with somthing like, say, a 10GB cap and bandwidth throttling after that would be good.

Advertisement