Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FRIACO and DSL

Options
  • 24-01-2003 12:15pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With yesterdays exciting DSL announcement it seems that many people have forgotten about FRIACO.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the IOFFL committee and every body else involved for pushing so hard for FRIACO.

The reason?

Well if it wasn't for FRIACO I don't believe Eircom would be introducing this new ADSL products.

See the thing you have to understand is that Eircoms most valuable customers are business people. Business people make a great deal of national, international and mobile calls at peak times and are therefore a major money earner for Eircom. FRIACO will be an extremely popular product with business people and will greatly threaten Eircoms whole business for the following reasons:

1) I'm sure that UTV and maybe Esat will bundle their FRIACO products with their CPS service (voice calls) and might even sell the FRIACO product at close to cost price in order to attract people to their phone services. This means Eircom will lose large numbers of very valuable customers.

2) Even if these customers get FRIACO from Eircom it will still be a big blow to Eircom, if you are using the net for a couple of hours during the day, then you are not able to make and receive those valuable phone calls.

Basically FRIACO has broken Eircoms time based cost model and DSL is much more preferable to them then FRIACO. Thus the new products, it is not a coincidence that the new DSL will be available just before FRIACO is due out.

Of course FRIACO is also very important to all those people who can't get DSL for numerous reasons.

Again thank you IOFFL.

Advertisement