Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bbc3

Options
  • 23-01-2003 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Anyone know if BCC 3 will be available in Ireland as it Launches 9 Feb @ 7pm and will be showing Swiss Toni - the Fast Show spin-off series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/get.shtml

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Not a hope as the tests have been encrypted here.The BBC wont pay for it to be in Ireland as we dont pay the english tv licensce.

It *might* make the EPG for a while until Sky cop on that it should not be on the EPG in Ireland as the BBC didnt pay for that.

People with FTA cards enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You've picked up the wrong end of the stick, irishgeo

BBC Three replaces BBC Choice, which is already encrypted and unavailable to RoI viewers. There are, and will be no test transmissions. From the viewers point of view, its only rebranding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Well the answer still the same we dont get the channel here anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We do however, get teased by being allowed to see a single nights transmissions on BBC ONE. (Just like BBC FOUR's opening night was relayed by BBC TWO).

February 9th, at 7pm. Story to come on ICDG in the near future, but for now, bbc.co.uk/bbcthree has the all the details.

And now, this affects all multichannel platform viewers so...

Thread moved to the Broadcasting forum.

I should also mention, BBC ONE will have a nightly slot "BBC THREE Presents" for the first month of the channel showcasing new BBC THREE programmes. And there will be a permanent weekly "BBC THREE Presents" slot on BBC ONE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Why don't the BBC just broadcast adds during their programmes for viewers in the republic after all C4 E4 AND SKY do. And then they will receive an income from their Republican Viewer. BBC Ireland after all they have a BBC Canada and America.

And do NTL and Corus not have to pay to have the rights to BBC channels?

After growing up on the original BBC TV channels, I for one wouldn't like BBC TV channels with ads. NTL and Chorus do pay for the BBC services.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Doesn't BBC World (available in the US) show ads?
    Could be wrong here.. I remember watching the channel when I was in Boston over a year ago...

Yes it does.

BBC channels around the world can use ads and income from ads, but not channels broadcast to domestic UK viewers. That right is protected by the BBC's Royal Charter.

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    Doesn't BBC World (available in the US) show ads?
    Could be wrong here.. I remember watching the channel when I was in Boston over a year ago...

Yes, but not many. More often, you'll find a string of trailers where the ad break should be and that boring "Just a Minute" break filler. (This is on the European feed, which is carried on NTL Digital).

If the BBC were to broadcast ads on its domestic channels in ROI, it could only do it while the trailers are being played out. That gives literally less than two minutes every hour. I don't think it would be viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Elmo
    Why don't the BBC just broadcast adds during their programmes for viewers in the republic after all C4 E4 AND SKY do. And then they will receive an income from their Republican Viewer. BBC Ireland after all they have a BBC Canada and America.

And do NTL and Corus not have to pay to have the rights to BBC channels?

Europe (Which from BBC point of view INCLUDES Ireland, but NOT UK) has the BBC Prime "pay" TV channel. It is "Best of BBC" etc.

If you DON'T have Sky and are subscribing to some European operator, or you have a "viaaccess" decoder / CAM, you my quite legally subscribe to BBC Prime for about £85 stg p.a. (About 10 Euro a month?). Its sister service, also on Hotbirds 13E is Free and very similar to BBC News24 (but better!) called BBC World TV.
    BBC World TV (free) shows non-news stuff like Hardtalk, Horizon, Earth Report, Great Railway journeys etc.

The BBC will not issue UK viewers with BBC Prime subscriptions.

Sky, Chorus, NTL etc all have to pay to show BBC1 & BBC2 in Ireland. In some Eu countries some cable opertaors also pay for BBC1 etc. So in theory Sky "could" pay for BBC3, BBC4, CBBC, CBeebies and BBC News24, but they would probabily charge more...

I get BBC World TV (free). Periodically I consider getting a "CAM" for viacees for my PC Satellite receiver (Digibox can't pickup BBC prime as the SR is not suitable and you can't add Viaccess decoder), usually when I am in a "lull" of having a cancelled Family pack. (Once the current Rockford / Columbo is done I might cancel Sky again).

In my opinion E4, ITV2, BBC3, BBC4 etc are mostly a waste of bandwidth.

There simply isn't enough quality programming to fill 60 to 300 channels. It was different here in South, with only part time TV on RTE1, but "up north" the introduction of BBC2 and Colour was a big step forward, C4 had the occasional extra interest when it started, but program content has I think overall dropped in last 10 years.

ITV regions are now almost homogenous apart from Adverts. TV3 is close to being part of the Empire of clones to point by time UTV does reach ROI Family Pack, the need for it will be gone ...

I think the BBC could make 3 decent channels out the 5 real channels / 7 branded TV channels they have (excluding BBC parlaiment).

RTE better improve and realise there is more to TV than sport soap and US imports (all of which you can get "better" from UK TV/Sky).
    RTE and TG4 should look at what S4C achieves.

I'd rather pay (when I want to) for US imports from pay TV providers than from RTE through the Licence Fee.

As well as BBC World TV free on Digital, an old analog Sky sytem can pickup the free Analog version of BBC World TV if the dish is moved from 19.2 to 13E.

I have two old analog systems feeding all the TVs in the house on Ch7 and C8. one is on Astra and the other is on Hotbirds. The "default" channels are CNN and BBC world. But they also get Arte, TV5, RAIx, MTV Central, MTV 2, Eurosport, M2 etc etc.

If I want to record BBC World TV (or TCM) I use the Digital Satellite Receiver card in the PC. It works just like Sky+, except it has no subscription and only picks up the 750 free channels on Sky, Astra, Hotbirds, and "whatever" (four satellites, the "Whatever" is manually pointable from 38E to 45W roughly). It feeds Ch5 on all the TVs in the house.
    The two digiboxes feed "Ch6" and "Ch9". Each digibox has a SCART connected VHS (Ch10 and Ch11 on all the TVs).

I'd probabily need a "Cable TV operator" licence if I throw a coax cable over the wall to next door's TV! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Originally posted by icdg
    We do however, get teased by being allowed to see a single nights transmissions on BBC ONE. (Just like BBC FOUR's opening night was relayed by BBC TWO).
    Actually, BBC Three will simulcast with BBC Two on February 9th, not BBC One.
    Full details here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/01_january/23/bbc3.shtml

/Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

Originally posted by icdg
    I remember that -- I enjoyed almost every programme that was shown. I'd trade BBC1 for BBC4, if given the choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

"I'd probabily need a "Cable TV operator" licence if I throw a coax cable over the wall to next door's TV! "

Im open to correction on this but I dont think you need a licence if your "network" has less than 250 subscribers and isint turning a profit.

Such systems are classed as MATV rather than CATV and some housing estates on the Continent have small MATV systems so that houses dont have individual aerials (makes sense where terrestrial TV is on Bands 1 3 and UHF)

In Ireland MATV is fairly rare (excpt for apartment complexes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

What about Hotel systems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Oh Mike,

I nearly forgot...

Welcome to ICDG.

Now...

(well, you know the rest ;-) ):p

Originally posted by Mike 1972
    "I'd probabily need a "Cable TV operator" licence if I throw a coax cable over the wall to next door's TV! "

Im open to correction on this but I dont think you need a licence if your "network" has less than 250 subscribers and isint turning a profit.

Such systems are classed as MATV rather than CATV and some housing estates on the Continent have small MATV systems so that houses dont have individual aerials (makes sense where terrestrial TV is on Bands 1 3 and UHF)

In Ireland MATV is fairly rare (excpt for apartment complexes)

Under posts and telegraphs act here, even throwing a baby intercom wire next door is illegal.

You need a licence to carry ANY communication signal on cable beyond your own property...

Advertisement