Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80's lads bedroom decor

Options
  • 19-01-2003 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Can anyone find any pictures on the 'net of a de facto 1980's lad's bedroom? I'm talking about the diagonal red/black/blue striped wallpaper (matched to bedcovers and curtains), picture of a Lamborghini Countach on the wall, black laminate fitted wardrobes and a desk with a Sinclair Spectrum on it etc.

It's a challenge, guys. I've searched high and low for evidence of this decorative faux pas and turned up nothing. Can any of ye help me out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

I'm not a guy (thank God) but I do remeber one of my friend's brother's having original Knight Rider wall paper, curtains and bed spread!

I'll have a look for you,
    Sorry I can't be of any help!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Knight Rider? Thats a criminal offence. I can add Bruce Springsteen posters from born in the usa on the wall with dreadful GAA winners 1985 pictures too.. Horrible thought.I had a Cobra 148 CB radio (used to p*ss off the neighbours tv) and yes a nasty sinclair spectrum with dodgy "clunk" tuner tv, remember the b/w jobs cos we had no money for a Luxury colour tv..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

hmmm, i rem having one whole wall covered with posters from Shoot and Match (villa btw) and the other with beer mats.....
    couple of cool posters with harleys aswell.....

No pics tho,
    your best bet for the type of pics that you describe would prolly be in an argos catalogue of said era.
    you know the way they had a whole room done in the pics and all....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by telecinesk
    dreadful GAA winners 1985 pictures too..

Mullets galore I'd wager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

any one remember Athena Poster shops?
    the amazing amount of crap photos of rusty bikes,flash cars,page three models,monkeys sitting on toilets,tennis players scratching their arse,page three girls,fiftees movie stars, dead pop stars,boil in the bag mock andy warhol posters and any thing old tat that the copyright had expired on that they could package as "style"...And we bought it all,
    then we complain cause things are too comercial now adays.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was in Athena. Great eh? I also remember my mates "big" brother with the "Oh S**t* poster of the steam train hanging off the bridge. Remember that one? It was a b/w drawing>>>
    Bet he had a collection of "Executive" stashed under his matress...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I had a Barry Sheen poster:eek: and a map of the world, which i still have today. Can't remember much other than that. But I know that teh wallpaper wasn't as naff as other people's seems to have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Striped wallpaper...

I had clowns.. lots and lots of clowns.. about one inch tall.. millions of the little b'stards all over the walls.. all watching me... the eyes.. the horror.. the horror.. the horror...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I see your challenge Mr. Powers, I will commence operation "death star" when I get into work and have faster access.

As for me, white walls with Prince and Hendrix posters. And one really cool beer poster. mmm beer.

edit - this is the best I can find horrible website

Another link here <- not a hetero guys typical bedroom I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

Originally posted by Clintons Cat
    any one remember Athena Poster shops?

theres one in galway city btw,
    theres a good selection of posters and prints and cards n 'stuff, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Jayzis Gordon!

Cheers for hunting out 80's gear on my behalf but that first link is just gruesome! I always take geocities websites with a pinch of salt but that's probably the worst site I have ever encountered. Words cannot adequately express just how nasty it is!

LOL @ Second link - that's the kind of crap I was talking about (minus the flowery bedspread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Gordon
    not a hetero guys typical bedroom I guess!

Yeah, the Lampshade and picture frame were a dead giveaway

I remember Empire Strikes Back Wallpaper

Sorry, I just had a flashback(not drug induced).. My friend had over his bed a poster made up of bubbelgum cards of Chewbakka(dodgy spelling?).. Remember those things 2x3 inches and like a cardboard jigsaw. Had to be 1979 ish..

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

went on holiday to my cousin's house once (all the way to Kildare!!!) and my aunt decorated the room especially with that awful pierrot (remember that stuff??) - wallpaper, bedcovers, lampshade, curtains, little ornamental clown's heads on the dresser the lot.

I couldn't wait to get home. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

My bedroom was pretty plain when I was a little un. Had cream walls but had funky yellow check curtains! Had a cool bedspread with little sums allover it. Eg 3+2= But there were no answers. Hours and hours of mathematical fun! didn't do me any good in later life however. Grr I hate Accounting!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Lpfsox
    went on holiday to my cousin's house once (all the way to Kildare!!!) and my aunt decorated the room especially with that awful pierrot (remember that stuff??) - wallpaper, bedcovers, lampshade, curtains, little ornamental clown's heads on the dresser the lot.

:(

Oh my God! My wife and I were talking about this the other day - she had all that clowny gear and she lived in Kildare!

It wasn't Leixlip, by any chance?

Me, I wasn't allowed put up posters (I was the first, my parents just didn't get it). So I put posters up on the ceiling. I had a five foot poster of Madonna that went right above my bed.

Manys a night I went to sleep happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

nope - not Leixlip, Celbridge. It was gruesome though......... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Nobody in the 80's had co-ordinated bedroom decor, it was whatever **** your ma and da put up.

I call bs on your retro memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

dresden8 wrote: »
    Nobody in the 80's had co-ordinated bedroom decor, it was whatever **** your ma and da put up.

I call bs on your retro memories.

I call 7 year Zombie thread alert!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭sundodger5

when i was about 15/16 the bedroom was due a bit of redecorating, parents made the mistake of giving me a bit of freedom on the colour scheme.
    Anyway my all black bedroom (except the mural of the millenium falcon) was quite the talking point....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i had the sacred heart starring down on me:o so as to stop me from wankin:(

oh the distress of it all!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

fryup wrote: »
    i had the sacred heart starring down on me:o so as to stop me from wankin:(

oh the distress of it all!!!!!!

And a little bell at the end of the bed!;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Bateman wrote: »
    I had a Barry Sheen poster:eek: and a map of the world, which i still have today.

My cousin had a poster of Barry Sheen too. I had forgotten about him and just looked him up on Wiki - sadly, he died from oesophageal cancer in 2003 :(. RIP Barry.

Advertisement