Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capoeira

Options
  • 19-01-2003 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done Capoeira?
    I am starting it tomorrow night in Trinity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A friend of mine did it and showed me some moves - it's amazing to watch.

I wouldn't have thought it was "self defence" as it is more like dancing surely. Afaik the rythmical moves are matched to beats/rythms to music and there is not contact but an art in -no contact- possibly. Capoeira can be done alone.

Have fun, it'll be good I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Gordon
    I wouldn't have thought it was "self defence" as it is more like dancing surely.

I agree, but still think of it as a sort of martial art, and this forum is the place for them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    I agree, but still think of it as a sort of martial art, and this forum is the place for them :)

This Forum isn't just for fighting skills DBC. It is for Self defense in general.

Which means the sports and products that can be used for self defense.

But as you said it is a sort of martial art it indeed has to be posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

You are starting it in Trinity? Can you PM me details on where when how to join etc.?? Would love to do it..

I went tonight.
    It rocks!
    Three brazilian guys go it.
    Its 3 euro a lesson, 6 for non-trinity.

Monday at 7pm Regent's House (above front arch).

The same guys also do it in other places, i have the flier somewhere.

It was so much fun!
    It's all dancy and swishy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Can anyone start at any time or do they start classes once every month or something??

Gimme some more details DBC ;)

more details?

i'll see you monday at 7 :P

just turn up, it only started last week, and afaik you can start anytime, all they want is your money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

With most of the self defense classes you can start at any time.

Its just a matter of training to get you to the next grade.

Most of these have Belts to show what grade you are on.

Hope that solves your question.

if not then ask more and I'll be happy to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by Gordon
    I wouldn't have thought it was "self defence" as it is more like dancing surely. Afaik the rythmical moves are matched to beats/rythms to music and there is not contact but an art in -no contact- possibly.
    The idea is for it to not look like self-defence. It was taught by slaves to other slaves and hence it was necessary to disguise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Im starting on wed next in a place near rathmines is €7.50 there
    I seen the mpeg wow it looks amazing Real life streetfighter cant wait to do some of the moves but some how I think they will take years

<Daydreaming> Chun li's Helicopter Kick in your Local when a load of scummers are given you gip </Daydreaming>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I always associate it with Eddy Gordo, the Brazilian guy in Tekken 3. If you learn how to do that helicopter legs move from a handstand then it has to be worth it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

it looks really great when you see 2 masters of it spar!
    in fact it looks like the idea is to dazzle you apponents into being so impressed with you that they can't resist clapping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

It sounds more like a dance class than self defence
    I might check it out sometime.. Guru is that €7.50 per class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

It sounds more like a dance class than self defence

Thats coz when the Brazillian slaves were teaching it to each other they had to disguise it so that people thought they were dancing. - My useless fact for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Code Ninja

Some people here are confused as to where Capoeria stands. Is it a dance or is it a martial art. In answer to this I say yes to both.

Capoeria is a form of self defence which (when training) uses music to aid in learning timing. It is not a martial art if you analyse the word martial art as it was never intended as a military fighting method but as a means of freeing people from slavery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bursaar

hi everyone, i'm making a small film at the moment and i'm staging a rather theatrical fight scene, i'm looking for a Capoeira instructor or just an experienced person in the field to help me choreograph the scene. i won't give a phone number, but my e-mail address if you are interested, or far more likely, can tell me where these people meet to train, teach etc, then plaese drop me a note at din6widdie@eircom.net TAKE OUT THE 6! i put it in so some spambot doesn't get my addy.

many thanks,
    Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

Originally posted by EL_Diablo
    Thats coz when the Brazillian slaves were teaching it to each other they had to disguise it so that people thought they were dancing. - My useless fact for the day

yes yer man in Kickboxer 3 said that too, great film! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dredz

Been doing capoeira since september or so in my school, brilliant martial art.

Latest kick learned was the jumping armada about 2 weeks ago, trying to train up on some angola/negativa at the moment.

GREAT fun, recommend people try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

There are usually a couple of capoeria people in galway doing a street display every saturday, i will agree it's fairly impressive (esp. when two brazilians pair up)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

hehe if anybody watches Classic FM TV (channel 464 on Sky) Vanessa Mae has a track on it called Arma Dun or something and the video is two copoiera guys fighting. tis cool. tried it myself once, but didnt really have the flexibility for it. stuck to shotokan, much less cool but a more solid martial art in my opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement