Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSIA Survey!

Options
  • 16-01-2003 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

SSIA Survey!

Let's have a quick SSIA survey on DEPOSIT and EQUITY versions. Curious to see what members on the boards.ie went for! :)

Use the either the Equity or Deposit template provided below. I have the Equity Example and went for EBS's SSIA equity product "EBS Summit Funds" and split evenly down the 3 internal funds provided: growth, global, balanced

Equity Example:

Type: 100% Equity
    Amount per month: 254 E
    Finanical institution: EBS
    Started: 05/06/2001
    Return since inception: -19.79%

Deposit Example:

Type: Fixed Deposit (Specify VARIABLE or FIXED)
    Amount per month: 150 E
    Finanical institution: AIB
    Started: 05/06/2001
    Interest rate: 4%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

variable deposit

fixed meant poss cashflow probs which haven't happened yet (touch wood)

I started the same day as you in 2001 and have around +28% return so far

M

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Type: Fixed Deposit
    Amount per month: €12.50
    Finanical institution: BOI
    Started: c. 05/04/2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Amount per month: €50
    Started: april/ may 2002

havent actually checked it ever. actually only remembered last month that i had this a/c. im gonna up the monthly input to the maximum by the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Fixed Deposit
    €254 a month
    Can't remember exact rate off-hand.

I've been in it since just after the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Amount per month: €254
    Started: May 2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Type: Equity
    Amount per month: €60
    Finanical institution: Quinn Direct
    Started: april 2002
    Rate of return: 12.5% (That includes the govt 25% top up)

Okay it's in A Eurostoxx tracker, thats gone down about 12% over the year, but it's still giving an overall nice return. The question is, now that I have a few more quid coming in, should I up the monthly investment? And secondly is it time to switch to American stocks, given that US should recover quicker?

??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

The Euro Stoxx indicies has fallen 54% since Aug '01 so I imagine that each 60 euro you contribute now will be buying far more units (quick check.... yep...it is as low as 54 cent per unit at the moment). I'd stay put unless if you want to put 30 euro in the US one and 30 in the EU one. But be warned that the US one has a higher annual charge... 1.2 or 1.5 % compared to 1% in the EU one. Also consider the currency risk... the dollar today is worth 1.0632 today... only 2 days ago it was 1.10. Many reckon that US stock are still over-valued. On the other hand maybe the Euro zone will continue to under-performance. Who knows?

I honestly don't know what will happen but I guess what you are doing now is fine really. Low annual charge, relatively "cheaper" units compared to 1 year ago and safely averaging buying these one a month. Way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The question is, now that I have a few more quid coming in, should I up the monthly investment?

Hi Borzoi - In general, YES - the SSIA is the best investment option in town, thanks to the Govt 25% top up. However, I'd make sure you've cleared off any credit card or personal loans first.

Also, you should be thinking about your equity SSIA as a medium term (i.e. five years +) investment. If you reckon you're going to need the money before then, you might want to choose QL's bond fund instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by RainyDay
    Hi Borzoi - In general, YES -

Also, you should be thinking about your equity SSIA as a medium term (i.e. five years +) investment.

Thanks. I went into the SSIA thinking longterm, which is why I haven't been particularly othered by the market falls - loads of time to recover. (Please god:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by RainyDay
    Hi Borzoi - In general, YES - the SSIA is the best investment option in town, thanks to the Govt 25% top up. However, I'd make sure you've cleared off any credit card or personal loans first.

I went for the variable interest rate. I think it was fixed to the ECB rate. Still, it is a good scheme & even though I am not saving anything near the max - it is a good instrument for savers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Opted for EBS, split between Deposit and Equity, 60% Deposit, 20% Growth (Equity), 20% Global (Equity)
    Started September 2001
    €253.95 per month
    Current actual value is just less than my contributions + gov 25%, therefore flat overall (zero return) but I am 25% ahead so I am not complaining. And with pound cost averaging there is potential upside in the long term.

Advertisement