Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NWN - Campaign

Options
  • 14-01-2003 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

I've created a second install of the Neverwinter server on games2 which we can use for campaign games.

I'd suggest we start with the prelude module to Bramblewood and then move on to that. I'll create a portal to the server on the inn server, so we have a point to met at.

How about we do this game each wednesday and normal games the remainder of the times.

Stick down your perfered class type.
    Maybe we should go the whole hog this time and do char backgrounds and proper names (looks at battlecheese) :)

Well thats my 2 cents.

Anyway I'm going to go Bard for these games.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I think I'll go for a Rogue (if no-one else really wants that - stilletto?).

Either that or Ranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Probably go for Fighter or perhaps Paladin to get in some spellcasting experience.

Few questions:
    Will we be starting the campaign on Wednesday?
    When will we be able to create the characters for that?
    How exactly will use of the characters be restricted?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

hey, having Boards names reduces confusion with peoples identities. Maybe its because I'm a simple arnie of the dwarf world. But I'll create a name and biography for the campaign.

Request if I may. Can people put their Race & Class in their Biography. This will help with things like "who can use this ranger bow" type queries and as previously mentioned I kinda forget who's who after a while.

Ok for the campaign I'm going for...... drum roll please.........Monk

I've read up on this class and know the restrictions but I'm up for a change. Idea being that I will eventually "grow up" to be a mage/wizard killer. Race as yet is undecided, maybe Half ogre.

Rev, Can I point out a problem.

I was messing with creating a new character last week and created one on entering the portal server(windy shore). When I went into the main server the character wasn't on the list just my original character. So, I created it again and all was fine.

So can new characters only be created on the main server??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Monks are a great class and the name thing being same as boards is good ...

but I can change.

Class I will need to think of that.

Edit: Done. Half Orc Barbarian called Fade.

JAK.

• Advertisement

Created a character for the Campaign:

Human Paladin called Jore Arna.

Sold my old clothes and bought a longsword but that's all I'll be doing with this character untill Wednesday when the campaign starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

People, do not create characters for the campaign on the main servers. Cos you'll not be able to use them :)

The campaign games are run on a totally seperate server which doesnt share the same vault as the portal and normal game servers.

I'll start the campaign server this evening at around 8:20.

Theres a portal to it on the portal server, but you better be able to run fast if you've a newbie char :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Hopefully be there myself, my char on the last one was the Rogue, hopefully be the same again (I rarely play anything else) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

heh, looks like noone wants the spot as sorc/wiz... well, I'll do it again. I think (hope?) I ain't too bad with those classes.

VERY important questions:

1. Will there be any resting restrictions? if yes, I'll be a sorc. If not, I'll be a wiz. If restrictions are too strong, I'll go rogue. Playing sorc/wiz with strict rest-restrictions is simply impossible. Playing wiz with loose rest-restictions is still hard enough. Sorc would be the way to go there.

2. Will we have friendly fire on (like on the other servers)? This will have an effect on my character-creation and -development, too. Not being able to damage teammates with my spells has some pretty advantages.

When I got these answers, I'll plan my character for this campaign (this character will be a bit deeper than my others. Good background and everything)

cya
    - Flash

Just a quick question about the campaign:

Will there be a set time for each session? If not then someone might be able to join and play long after everyone else has left. This would give their character an advantage over everyone else and the team would become uneven.

• Advertisement

I assume Rev will Puck. The idea being that the campaign will only be able to be played on Wednesdays and every other day Rev will take down the server so it would be impossible for people to level their characters without the others.

****** CONNECTION DETAILS ******

connect to games2.iol.ie:5123

password is anothersecret

is bramblewood up yet?

just tried the connection from the prelude to bramblewood and nothing, game hung on me.

same here

edit: and now the main server is down too

edit2: all 3 NWN-servers are down. The HL-NS server is still running. Guess this round is over. I only hope our characters are still there (I didn't export mine...)

good game everyone! Very fun module, thou having mages there is simply impossible. Raven-like rest-restrictions would've still been acceptable... but rest only in inns? nah, no chance.

Maybe we should sum up what chars we got now (for further planning)

Name: Sally Swift
    Race: High Elf
    Class: Rogue
    Level: 3
    Weapons: longsword +1, dual-rapiers, heavy crossbow
    Armor: Studded leather armor, Helmet
    No rings, amulets, bracers, cloak, etc whatsoever
    Abilities: point blank shot, two-weapons fighting
    Future: finesse, ambidextrosity, toughness
    Specialization: finding and disarming traps, unlocking doors, persuading, hiding&sneaking, two-weapons fighting (2xRapier) as well as long ranged combat (light/heavy crossbow)

If needed, I can move ahead of the rest of the party, sneaking and (as I'm elf) automatically checking for traps. As I have nightvision, I won't need a torch. This way we can check for traps and enemies without endangering any party-members (including me).

Comments? Suggestions? Additions?

cya
    - Flash

well, I am assuming that's it for the night then.

At least we got the first part finished.

I didnt move the rest of the modules into the new server, since normally it took two or more nights to finish a module.

The Campaign server will be down until next wednesday so that way ppl arent really going to get a chance to leap ahead of everyone else.

The other two servers will remain running with your normal characters in the mean time. Cannt really run three what with NS been such a resource hog. Ofcourse we could just kill the server, but that wouldnt be fair now would it.

are our characters still in the server-vault of the campaign-server? it looked like the server crashed pretty hard (taking the 2 others with him...) so I wonder whether they got corrupted or not.

another steady-up NWN-server would rock. One server being HQ, one server with newbie-modules and one server with advanced-modules.

thou, you're right, shutting down the NS-server wouldn't be fair. Maybe in 1.1 they will finally manage to optimize this rather poorly coded mod (and hopefully FINALLY optimize those models. If they don't, I think I will do it myself...)
    anyways, the gameplay is still quite nice so I'll keep playing it whether it's a res-hugger (for both server and client) or not.

cya
    - Flash

well, my new character is Rameses Daark

ranger 2, fighter 1

Equally good with ranged or melee (by good I mean I have +2 stat adjustment for a total of +5 to hit now). Still need to get a longbow somewhere.

Melee: longsword, dual longsword, definitely playing with the idea of taking exotic weapon prof and using a scythe :) (2d4 damage, X4 crit).

With the monks and the barbarian, I'm thinking we have enough up front stitching types so I'll develope as a ranged fire support that can get into melee if needed. (just ask the barbarian who stole all his goblin kills :p )

Feats: point blank, rapid shot, dual wield, power attack, cleave,
    future: weapon focus (longbow), weapon spec (longbow), improved crit (longbow).

as ranger i can also scout, but I can't disarm or unlock.

armour: studded leather
    equip: longsword, 1 healing kit, 4 X cure light wounds

that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

I chose a Monk. Being fairly new to nwn I wanted to keep things simple.
    Name Elmer Mc Fud

Monk 3
    Melee: Fists avoiding Kama but I suppose a magic one would be handy for the Damage immune guys.
    Armour:None, but I went for a high DEX/WIS option at the cost of STR/CON. Will be using a Sheild soon.
    Feats chosen:Toughness, Weapon Finesse. Next feat will be Sheild possibly followed by Improved Critical.
    Skills: Bumping up Lore, discipline and Healing.

1st night was fun.

Furez

furez,

I'm not 100% but I think a shield counts as armour in NWN (I know it does in 3e D&D). If you use a shield it will negate your wisdom bonus to AC (monks get DEX + Wis to AC). Might want to look this up though.

As for Kama, there is a list of martial arts weapons that a monk uses his unarmed attack bonus with and kama is one of them.
    A monk has two base attack bonuses, unarmed and armed. the armed one usually isn't very good but the unarmed one gets extra attacks at +4 (other classes get bonus attacks at +6). It is worht looking into weapon finesse as well. This adds your dex bonus to attack instead of your strength bonus (if dex is higher) and works on all (?) monk weapons including Kama and fists.

have to say, the two monks are excellent fighters. When you get evasion and uncanny dodge (2) you'll be almost unhittable. If you are thinkingof multi classing, I'd consider taking a level of Rogue or sorceror/wizard. All will benefit from you AC bonuses and not lose out fom the light/no armour restriction monks are subject to.

• Advertisement

Thanks LoLth on the Sheild Info. I had read on some guide that the sheild did not count as armour in nwn but I just did a quick test and found that it does. Mabye they Patched it right since the guide was written. Glad I didnt waste my next feat :).
    I have the Finnesse I guess Improved Critical will be my next feat.
    I think Ill avoid multi-class, just keeping it simple for a while.

Furez

Improved critical requires a base attack bonus of +9 (if i remember correctly).

So, you've got another feat in between now and imp. crit. You might want to consider weapon focus (fists) or toughness.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seldon

Hi everybody..

Was starting to look interesting last time.. so is anyone going to be around for the weekend for a quick game (only a phrase totally lose track of time when playing)

SO has anyone any ideas for another mod or should we keep to the one we're playing at the mo?

Right LoLth Heres the stuff Ive been reading....

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/neverwinter_nights_monk.txt

WIsh Id read It before I chose a HAlf elf.
    Anyways weapon focus will be next feat!. heh what would I do without you :).

Furez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Light0r

Hey : One of me first posts, anyway >
    I think ill go Ranger : Long Range.
    So it will be totally dedicated to shooting from long range... good for them sneak attacks which sarah showed me :x
    I was a druid and think that it isnt gr8 until lvls 10 up ... so ill go with ranger for now.
    i think the server is down atm so i cant logon and create it - but im practicing the ranger on the ord server - we all created new lvl 1 chars ... but rev gave us a lvl 3 map *grr*
    Nothin else to say- Lo all btw

you mean those sneak-attacks where I did 30-40 damage?
    ... sorry to disappoint you, but only rogues do sneak-attacks :/

rangers are usually used for long-range while the enemy is away and if enemy closes in, they pull out two weapons and start slashing the living **** out of them (rangers get ambidex and two-weapon fighting for free so it'd be a waste of feats NOT to use two weapons)

cya
    - Flash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Light0r

k :) i chose that package of marksman tho - so i guess i'll have to start working on my melee package now
    - Light

Advertisement