Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting over a girl

Options
  • 11-01-2003 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in my mid 20's. I started my first real relationship when I was 21, that lasted for almost 2 years. For the most part I was very happy with that girl, but towards the end I craved to be single again, but at the same time i wanted to be with this girl forever as I loved her very much. We had a very bad break up(she finally ended it), and didn't speek for months. That was 2 years ago now, I still miss her so much and I think about her every day. I feel like that I'm never going to get over her.

I have moved on, i'm actually living with another girl for the last year and a half, we get on fine, but i compare everything she does to my ex girlfriend. My current girlfriend is so much better in many ways, but i'm still hung up on my first love.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?
    Do you ever forget your first love?

Comments

I think, you'd find, a lot of people have had this problem , maybe several times at some point, in their lives.
    The only way to deal with it, (and unfortunately it takes probably sometimes as much effort as say to give up cigarettes) is to shut your ex out of your mind completely.

One thing strikes me , though about what you said, ie, that you compare everything about your current Girl with your ex...
    Really after two years this is a bad sign, the project for you, is to find, a girl that gives you an overwhelming desire, one that wipes out thoughts of your ex, there are plenty, as females make up more than 50% of the population!
    Tbh, I would never reccommend, staying in a relationship, if the feelings on your side are not strong enough to wipe out those for an ex..
    It's unfair to you and it's very unfair to her(even though , she may not know this yet, at some point , it will lead to problems)

I don't think you will, or anybody does forget their first love, it's the deepest cut, but, it's only a memory, and shouldn't take over..., you were probably with your first love a little long, and the bad break up, has burned it into your mind a little too much.

Don't despair at the fact that you are still, feeling this way after two years, it will go, immediately if you feel enough passion for someone else, and eventually, if you give all the comparing mularkey the cold turkey .
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

You kinda have no other choice. I mean you HAVE to get over it what else are you gonna do? Sorry to sound harsh but it's the truth. There are ways and means of making the process easier you could try some of those.
    Time is the only healer in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by Shyguy
    I'm in my mid 20's. I started my first real relationship when I was 21, that lasted for almost 2 years. For the most part I was very happy with that girl, but towards the end I craved to be single again, but at the same time i wanted to be with this girl forever as I loved her very much. We had a very bad break up(she finally ended it), and didn't speek for months. That was 2 years ago now, I still miss her so much and I think about her every day. I feel like that I'm never going to get over her.

I have moved on, i'm actually living with another girl for the last year and a half, we get on fine, but i compare everything she does to my ex girlfriend. My current girlfriend is so much better in many ways, but i'm still hung up on my first love.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?
    Do you ever forget your first love?

I can't believe you posted here without searching the archives first.!!!!!

For many a dumped person has posted here, and plenty of nuggets of wisdom have been passed on, about how to get over them, how to get them back, how to make them jealous etc.

So please before you post here, take the time to search the old posts, as many of your questions will be already answered there.

And to the Mods, could we not create a FAQ section where you could store common problems, and solutionss like "Help i just realised i'm Gay" to "Is my bird chating on me?" etc. That would save us reading the same problems and answers over and over again!

X

:)

PS Shyguy, i am only taking the mick!
    There is an old saying .. you never forget your first love.
    Its true. she will always have a special place in your heart.

Its good your getting on with your life, and in time you'll fall in love again (with a bit o luck) as long as your not moping over the x all the time. And then you will be able to put your old relationship into proper perspective.

So keep the chin up, old chap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I wonder if some sort of closure would help this lad.
    You know like meeting up with the EX and seeing what it was
    that made him want to be single again.

Or maybe kill her, thats closure !

But if your really hung up on her and she really is that great maybe you could give her my email address, Ill make sure you
    never want to think about her again !

Advertisement