Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A recommended SNES emulator

Options
  • 11-01-2003 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I got hold of some rpg SNES roms to try out. What SNES emulator out of the lot would be worth trying out on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Oops! I see the same question in another thread. :) Still... this is just as valid until an answer arrives at one of them. Which one is gonna be ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

My question is for a specic (old) machine
    id recommend Snes9x or Zsnes i think it is
    the later requires directx 8 or higher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah i've used snes 9x myself nice piece of kit, not sure about its win 2k and xp compatibility as the name may suggest.

djste18,

Yes, point taken - Myself I'm looking for one to suit a P3-800. Should be okay unless these things are incredibly demanding. Good for the Amiga types any...

Hey, I came across a list of them on this page:
    http://www.emuparadise.org/emulators/snes.html

Here's

Name: SNEeSe
    Description: A very frequently updated SNES emulator for DOS. This emulator shines due to it's low system requirements! If you have an old PC, try this now!!
    Version: 0.735 Beta
    Download: Dos version

Some windows versions there but probably are slow. I'm sure DiscoStu will have an answer! :D

Ive tried that
    again dont wana use dos in full screen
    but thanx for the help
    if ur choice was in my hands id choose snes9x and i think DiscoStu agrees on that point.

• Advertisement

hamster i'm running p-3 850 it has no problems with snes games and i should bloody hope it wouldn't

Dataisgod,

I was just saying to djste18 that a windows version could be slow on p-1 and that's why I pasted the dos example there. Horrible as it is...

But good to hear about the p3-850 spec... excellent. What emulator have you tried? Are you running that on windows 2000/XP or win98?

I should know in about 18 mins or so anyway... with 20 snes rpg roms coming down. Drool! :cool:

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    yeah i've used snes 9x myself nice piece of kit, not sure about its win 2k and xp compatibility as the name may suggest.

works fine on xp

at the time hamster i was running snes 9x on windows Me, currently running xp pro i don't think i have used it since the switch so didn't want to vouch for it. i have run a few N64 games on this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

zsnes is the fastest snes emulator out there. the windows version uses the archaic dos gui with a minimise button for good luck. but a p1 is seriously not enought to emulate anything worthwhile. where as a p3 850 will do almost everything except later midway games and cps2 games in mame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'd recommend Snes9x and ZSNESto use, for if one doesn't load a ROm, the other certainly would.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Zsnes is the best snes emu imo and as DiscoStu pointed out it's the fastest:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Just have both zsnes and snes9x, snes9x tends to update a good bit and supports alot of the beta's and what have ya much better than zsnes.
    That starfox 2 full game for instance (which i recently found out is not a correct dump, the dumpers made an ass of it, so it'll have to be redumped in the future....explains why it has all those sound errors and crashes in both zsnes and snes9x)

Advertisement