Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 3 Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I'm bored at work so I took a look at your site and must say I liked that artical on Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

Thanks. There's a few more of those coming like one on the ''Dangers Of The Next Generation consoles'' and the second half of the Sonic article has yet to come too.

Noel Brady
    ww.game-ireland.com

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Thief 3.
    There is a God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

And with Warren Spector designing it smile.gif gonna be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

Woo Hoo!!!! I can hardly wait, although I have to say i was a little disappointed with T2. It didn't quite live up to my expectations.

dyin ain't much of a livin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ah sure thats grand, and Ion Storm got some of the Looking Glass team ? Should be a scorcher.

It's about a society in freefall....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Does anyone know what kind of era it will be set in ?
    Like the second one was metal age etc.

It's about a society in freefall....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Whatever the era, I'm sure they'll re-use that "Come out, you taffer!" wave again.

- What's this now?™ -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

sure enough theres taffers in it (whatever one of those is)
    i just stole the
    chalice
    and am liking the game so far
    at first i was dissapointed with the graphics but i turned up the texture levels and as i progress through the game they have better looking areas

i don't know how it compares to the previous games, but i like this one
    takes a bit long to load, and the midlevel loading is something i could do without

...just realised this thread is 4 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Sweet jesus digging up a 4 year old thread has to be a record

• Advertisement

i'm surprised by how little interest there is in this game, my favourite of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Im sure there has been older threads dug up before Bizmark, probably on the Half Life forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Kinda dissapointed by Thief 3, it's a good game, but the levels really are tiny, and it runs like poo on my PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

God this thread is old.....me and little bro used to run that site!! ahh those where da days!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

damn now i'm curious about that sonic article and cant read it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd love the old thief games but for some reason i couldn't get into this one as much as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

So are you Noel or Neil? 0_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Stephen wrote:
    So are you Noel or Neil? 0_o

Not sure :rolleyes: its a few years ago now :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Thief 3 is brilliant. The fairly frequent loading is a bit of a pain but it doesn't detract from what is otherwise one of the best games out there. The Cradle level is sheer genius!

haven't got to the cradle yet
    i'm going onto the abysmal gale next, unfortunately the cradle has been spoiled for me, some people cant use tags

i find the loading sections a useful pointer regarding where to go next, so i can explore without getting lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Cradles a decent enough level, and I got a good laugh out of the way it was designed, a lot of references to other media - Its extremely frustrating though because if you have any trouble completing it and mention it in a T3 forum youll have a bunch of girls blouses descend on the thread crying about how they had to play the level from behind the couch, and how theyve been having bed wetting problems since etc etc and theyll go on and on about what a great level it is and how much they loved it/cried about it but they wont answer your question.

I hear what Cr3m0 said about the addictivness - Its not as addictive as T2 for me, dunno why cos its clearly better in all respects. I guess its just got more competition for my attention than T2 did - im very close to completing it though, but now the RTW demo is out......

I do get a good lauch of the full on royal rumbles that you can provoke in the streets with guards and pagans and hammerites and pirates going at it hammer and tongs. One time i couldnt walk up the street without stepping on a body:) Only downside is everyone will attack you if they see a body and then you on the streets even if you didnt have anything to do with the killing - slightly lazy coding there I think

finished the cradle, and that is one messed up level
    quite happy its done now, took me 2 hours
    when you're wandering around the outer part and you hear that door opening, and the footsteps for the first time, or when the ghost talks to you the first time
    is a bit interesting
    did anyone else think you'd have to relocate all 8 of the 'toys'?
    even though that wasn't required there was just thing after thing to do, especially winding you up when you had to follow the ghost out of the cradle :p

still haven't seen any pirates on the streets, perhaps you meant the
    keepers
    which certainly have bloodied the streets, though not major bloodbaths

can someone tell me how to activate the
    pagan cornerstones
    i shoot them with the moss arrow and nothing happens

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

I've been holding off on buying this until I finish T1 and T2.
    I really really want to play it but I will wait.

can someone tell me how to activate the spoiler:

Yeah - I cant get spoliers to work so if anyone else doesnt want spoilers then stop reading NOW - youre probably making the mistake I made - Your shooting the walls with green pagan symbols carved on them. These arent the corner stones. What youre actually looking for are small grey/black blocks ( thus in a game of shadows practically invisible ) on the corners of buildings, right at ground level - theyll actually extend from the building itself. To give you an idea of where to start looking theres one outside the prison, and another on black alley - one of the buildings on the left side of the alley. Youll have to experiment.
    still haven't seen any pirates on the streets

Theres a few in the clocktower quarter - in that alleyway to the right as you enter from Garrets "home" quarter. Least they look and sound like pirates to me:)
    finished the cradle, and that is one messed up level
    quite happy its done now, took me 2 hours

Yeah its a decent level but it does start to drag on, and I hate that one of the primary objectives is achieved practically by luck - that and the lenth. Theres lovely little touches in the level though - some classic horror references.

Sand wrote:
    Yeah - I cant get spoliers to work so if anyone else doesnt want spoilers then stop reading NOW - youre probably making the mistake I made - Your shooting the walls with green pagan symbols carved on them. These arent the corner stones. What youre actually looking for are small grey/black blocks ( thus in a game of shadows practically invisible ) on the corners of buildings, right at ground level - theyll actually extend from the building itself. To give you an idea of where to start looking theres one outside the prison, and another on black alley - one of the buildings on the left side of the alley. Youll have to experiment.

Theres a few in the clocktower quarter - in that alleyway to the right as you enter from Garrets "home" quarter. Least they look and sound like pirates to me:)

Yeah its a decent level but it does start to drag on, and I hate that one of the primary objectives is achieved practically by luck - that and the lenth. Theres lovely little touches in the level though - some classic horror references.

yes i was shooting the green circles, looking for little dark areas on the ground doesn't sound fun
    haven't heard any of them that sounded like pirates, have heard some that sound irish though
    yeah it was a bit weird how the cradle was or seemed like the longest level, probably the least enjoyable level for me
    what were the movie references?

one last thing, is thief 2 worth a go?
    i think that the old graphics could be a problem, having been spoiled with better recent graphics, its hard to step backwards
    in what way is the gameplay different? people say the levels are huge, but i didn't find the levels in thief 3 to be annoyingly small, i liked them mostly

yeah it was a bit weird how the cradle was or seemed like the longest level, probably the least enjoyable level for me

Yeah - it does get to a stage where youre just willing the damn thing to end. They really beat that nag of the "creepy old orphangage/asylum" to death.
    what were the movie references?

Not specific movies - but the way a lot of the creepy stuff was taken from "scary movies 101". I dont think anyone whose ever seen a couple of horror movies should be surprised by any of the level designers tricks.
    Like the sudden burst of knocking when you near the door - I certainly expected it as soon as I saw the door, the same for the rapid "shadow" you see crossing in front of you when you enter the white ward - movies do that "Did you see that?" crap all the time. When I saw it, I was delighted by it and reloaded it a couple of times to see it again.
    one last thing, is thief 2 worth a go?

Id say so - Its a fine game in its own right, but its is a few years old and the graphics werent cutting edge even then though theyre perfectly functional as well. Some of the levels are quite nice, I still remember fondly the one where you had to rob the nobles party at the mechanists tower, or the pagan village and their "temple". Theres a good story to it as well, a lot of references to Kharras and the Mechanists etc etc in Thief 3.
    in what way is the gameplay different? people say the levels are huge, but i didn't find the levels in thief 3 to be annoyingly small, i liked them mostly

Rope arrows for one thing. I barely using climbing gloves because its quite apparent they dont want you to unless they practically signpost it for you. Rope arrows were the T2 standard and a lot of people are upset theyre gone. Find something wooden - shoot it, and voila a rope to climb up and down ( down especially so you could grab that loot or drop behind a guard to blackjack), jump to so you could techincally cross a room by leaping from rope to rope without ever putting a foot on the floor, if you had enough rafter space.

Only reason for dropping it was the physics of T3 - They couldnt make a light arrow hold the weight of even a slimfast Garret or something.

The T3 levels arent annoyingly small, but theyre definitly smaller than T2 levels - the mid level loading isnt required by PCs but were stuck with it because consoles cant handle T2 size levels apparently.

lol
    i just about noticed the knocking when i opened the door, it didn't startle me at all, i missed the quick shadow altogether

i read that in previous thief games you had the rope arrow and you could swim, which sounded like pretty bad omissions from the third
    anyway, did the levels feel like they dragged on (somewhat like the cradle) or were they good?
    i guess it has the same general atmosphere and gameplay, which is what i liked, particularly the medieval (or whatever) atmosphere
    a lot better than splinter cell, for me

Advertisement