Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name this BBC Micro game! Arrragh!

Options
  • 06-01-2003 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I suddenly just remember that I used to play the BBC Micro years ago (but only briefly around 1985 and 1986). One game I'm trying to hunt down but I can name it. Arrrrragh! :confused:

I remember what it looks like:
    1) It was a 2d platform game
    2) You went from screen to screen. Sideview. Think Jumpman.
    3) The main character was in a medival kind of setting. Rooms / doors.
    4) I remember collecting a torch and lighting it to be reused somewhere. Fooling the guards or something. Think I was collecting treasure.

Sorry if that sound vague as hell because it is. Sob! Like an itch you can't scratch.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Ok! Panic's over! I found it! The game in question was "Castle Quest" released by Micro Power in 1983.

http://www.rubybay.com/users/drbeeb/micropower.html

Remember this gem?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Holy crap! I would have thought ozpass woud have posted on this tread by now given his love of the BBC Micro:) hamster why not grab the best platformer on the Micro, Chuckie Egg! Used to play this game and many others in school once upon a time...thank God for emulation eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Was there a game called "Fast Snapper" on the BBC? - I kinda remeber it, but I'm not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

a yes the bbc micro ... grannies garder where r u gone now ... the days of driver mr E and shurken r somthn like that . o the joys .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Holy crap! I would have thought ozpass woud have posted on this tread by now

Bugger it. Clearly losing my sk1llz as regards sniffing out beeb related posts. ;)

Whilst you're emulating BBC gear, try and obtain a copy of Imogen by Superior Software. It's a genuinely beautiful game (even in MODE 4) and fiendishly difficult.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by deadl0ck
    Was there a game called "Fast Snapper" on the BBC? - I kinda remeber it, but I'm not sure...

I've played a game called Snapper. It's a clone of a very well known game starring my avatar;)
    As for Imogen I actually have that bad boy! grabbed it along with Knightlore and Beebem a while ago:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Imogen ruled.

I have hundreds of bbc games on 720k floppy somewhere, is it possible to some how copy them off and use them on the pc, assuming the disks havent corrupted over time.

Originally posted by Kev
    Imogen ruled.

I have hundreds of bbc games on 720k floppy somewhere, is it possible to some how copy them off and use them on the pc, assuming the disks havent corrupted over time.

I wouldn't worry to much about getting them off the disks. You can download image/tape files for every game published from the net without having to look very hard:)

Yeah thats what i thought, but i have hundreds of games and i could never remember the names of all of them.

Hey LoGiE,

I first played Chuckie Egg on the c64 but I found the sequel more interesting... even mapped the damn thing! :) But I never really managed to construct an egg (too lazy to find all the pieces) but I read that even if I did... you just start on the next egg and so to infinity...

Citadel was another classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

is it possible to some how copy them off and use them on the pc, assuming the disks havent corrupted over time

It's difficult and messy reading DFS or ADFS disks on a modern PC, but it can be done (especially if all you want to do is a *CAT)

You'll find instructions and software here

If you don't have any luck you can always send your disks to me and I'll rip them onto my PC (I have loads of Beebs). Or I can give you a BBC Master and drive if you are able to collect it.

By the way, the above link is for Chris Richardson's 8-bit software. I strongly recommend everyone gives the place a quick look as it's a very interesting site, and Chris is a hell of a nice guy. www.8bs.com

Originally posted by hamster
    Hey LoGiE,

I first played Chuckie Egg on the c64 but I found the sequel more interesting... even mapped the damn thing! :) But I never really managed to construct an egg (too lazy to find all the pieces) but I read that even if I did... you just start on the next egg and so to infinity...

Citadel was another classic.
    On which format did you play the sequel? I gave it a bash on the Amiga but I've always prefered the Micro or C64 versions of the original;) There are a lot of games I used to love playing. Citadel, Trust, hunch back and another game I think was called Norad. If you want to play any off the above games use beebem it's a windows based emu and it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by LoGiE
    On which format did you play the sequel?

I played Chuckey Egg 2 on the C64 to death. Great little game and much preferred over the original. I also had it on the Atari ST (CE2) and have to say it wasn't great, sprite collision was something awful, one sprite out and gone. Like China Miner or Tales of the Arabian Nights on the C64 - Ian Gray was an evil man.

Originally posted by ozpass
    It's difficult and messy reading DFS or ADFS disks on a modern PC, but it can be done (especially if all you want to do is a *CAT)

You'll find instructions and software here

If you don't have any luck you can always send your disks to me and I'll rip them onto my PC (I have loads of Beebs). Or I can give you a BBC Master and drive if you are able to collect it.

By the way, the above link is for Chris Richardson's 8-bit software. I strongly recommend everyone gives the place a quick look as it's a very interesting site, and Chris is a hell of a nice guy. www.8bs.com

Thanks for the link, i'll try ripping the disks soon, and if that doesnt work i still have my master system in the bottom drawer of my computer desk.

Originally posted by TinCool
    I played Chuckey Egg 2 on the C64 to death. Great little game and much preferred over the original. I also had it on the Atari ST (CE2) and have to say it wasn't great, sprite collision was something awful, one sprite out and gone. Like China Miner or Tales of the Arabian Nights on the C64 - Ian Gray was an evil man.

Well he programmed Treasure Island Dizzy, one of my favorite dizzy games so I forgive him:) Unfortunitly the quality of the CE games does vary across the different platforms. Luckily thanks to emulation I've tried out a few and in my opinion the C64 versions are the best followed by the speccy versions.

I played Chuckie Egg 2 on the C64. I still hear the little guy runnning across the screen.. tic.a.tic.a.tic. Oh what's this? I suddenly remember the big dog at the start? Guard dog? Now that I think of it.. a lot of situations were rather silly but enjoyable nevertheless.

Advertisement