Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Annihilation

Options
  • 06-01-2003 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

PC Zone ran a full page feature on the game this month.

"No other RTS game offers so much for network players.....And it's over 6 years old!"

"Command and Conquer feels like a half-wit in comparison".

I still play that game in multiplayer and on the college LAN all the time. 10 player Free for all with 500 units per side is wonderful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Yup, this is truely a classic RTS, even better than starcraft IMO. Its the only RTS i have seen with REAL scale, the artillary fires like artillary, the big bertha's and pulverisers have a big big big range, and thats rare to see in any RTS, its nice to see a game where combat on a large scale still exsists......... pity tank rush's suck, but thats the price you pay for having turrets with a range of around half a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Yeah this game truly rocks, games can go on for sooooo long though :) Blummin anti nukes...pah!

I cant get sound working properly in win2k though *cry*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

haha, try out some mods(Final Frontier fúcking owns)

Blitz, still posting on the infogrames TA forums?
    They still as spammy as they used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

mebbe I will, /me goes a downloadin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

You should try playing it online Pugsley. Small tank rushes are actually the most effective tactic. The level2 stuff is mostly redundant other than Bertha cannons but you get some massive level1 tank battles and fast expansion. I love the way ones base can expand all over the map. You aren't stuck in a corner like in other RTS's but use all the terrain at your disposal.

Hey Celt. I take a quick peek at the infogrammes board once in a blue moon. TAuniverse was always far, far better though. All the TA boards are starting to get a bit dead. Makes sense really when Chris Taylor and Phantagram aren't releasing any details on their RTSes. They'll all come back when that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Its an awful pity that they didnt make a follow on (that had a similar look and feel, with robots etc) that other total annihilation was crap IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Its an awful pity that they didnt make a follow on (that had a similar look and feel, with robots etc) that other total annihilation was crap IMO
    Total Annihilation Kingdoms.

Never actually got around to playing it myself.

When Chris Taylor left (after Core contingency) Cavedog went to ****.

There's a sequel in development by Phantagram. They're a Korean developer with a poor track record. No fans have much hope for that.

What most people are looking forward to is Gas Powered Games(Chris Taylor's company) new RTS. If anything we all think not using the TA liscence is a good thing. The strength of TA was it broke new ground and got rid of all the mechanics that had become so entrenched in the genre and we'd like to see another originl game that does the same. Plus, Chris promises the game will be very highly modable so reproductions of TA will probably go ahead as soon as its released. Apparently we'll even be able to convert existing file formats over so all the mods for Total Annihilation (some of which have been going on for 4 years of tweaking and debate) could run on the new game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Warmonger

Just found this thread, finally someone is on about a desent game.
    Did anyone see BTFF units on 'tadesigners.com' they are unreal. its only a beta but the units own ass imo. But if u do get it build quick or your ass is theres.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

any good sites with working downloads have tried a few including planetannilation etc but the downloads are broken or with 1hr+ waiting lists :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

cheers, just got the patch and a few others from here http://www.tagl.net/onlineessentials.php thanks for the above links, will check them out too.

TAGl are indeed excellent for downloads. Most of the other sites are having trouble paying for bandwidth so the majority of stuff usually ends up on Fileplanet.

Some of the units on TAD are class alright. The units being released today are exceptionally good too. Leagues ahead of anything people used create 3 years ago. The likes of www.tauniverse.com/madta create two models and use the high-poly ones for lightwave renders. It's alot of work just for 64x64 pixel buildpics.

If your looking for good units try www.tauniverse.com/urc where they do reviews.

I run a site that does Total Annihilation comics: www.tauniverse.com/ubercrack

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I just reinstalled TA recently. It's amazing how it's aging so well, truly one of my all time favorites. I've got Kingdoms, but never really got into it. I can't even remember if I finished it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Installed the original TA and got the map of Earth that some bloke did - 17MB -wow this thing is huge , could be playing this one game for months!!!!

ya downloaded that map myself but it crashed before it loads under win2k. Think i gotta get the update of the maps etc 148mb or something tho.

Alo.

Real Earth is a technical marvel but it plays like crap. :)

Ireland and Europe in general are so bloody innacurate on that its easy tell the thing was made by an american.

Look out for some maps made in Terrangen or Bryce. Theyd on't use Cavedog tilesets so they're bigger filesizes but they look utterly gorgeous.

does anyone have any idea how to get more id's i keep running out and the ddraw file igot doesnt help at all.
    Any ideas?????:mad:

Well there's a program people tend to use when running lots of mods and units and such called TA: Mutator. It changes around the unit id's so there aren't any conflicts. There's more info and lots of downloads on that here:
    http://mch.kirkwarez.com/ (note to mods - just a name, has nothing to do with warez)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Ah o so true TA, is the god of all RTS's having the best long term life i've ever seen, much helped in the earlier years by the constant array of new units from cavedog which added alot to the game, still play it and its mods. Starcraft was a good enough compedator, doesn't have the shelflife of TA though, and really to be honist there hasn't been anything since SC that could even hold a candle to TA, i have kingdoms/RA2/Tiberian Sun/etc.... nothing comes close imo. the diversity and sheer ability to create massive armies is nicely impressive, only thing bad about TA was that core and the arm are too similar but back when it was created the same could be said for nearly all RTS games as i guess the money wasn't avaible or what ever to go into such a big array unit designs required for very different races. (Intro vid for it is still well impressive also)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link Blitz but it keeps crashing anyway, it has me stumped any more ideas, if you do please let me know.
    :confused: thanks...

Try asking for help on the www.tauniverse.com/forum

They know more about the technical aspects than me. I don't really use 3rd party units.

Thanks for the link, found what i need to fix the problem i have been having :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

we need to set up a TA comp at the next lan so download the updates before then and we can all smack each other about the place at MEGALAN.

Arm forever

All the updates and things needed for LAN matches are available at TAGL Online Essentiels including all the **** from the addon packs.

TA Designers have some maps specifically for large numbers of players you get at lans. 4vs4, 5v5, 10 way FFA.
    www.tadesigners.com

And if your having probelms getting people interested in TA then Star Wars TA usually get their attention.
    www.planetannihilation.com/swta

Advertisement