Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh Yes! Ohhhh Yes! OOOOOh Yes! Thank you Exult!

Options
  • 06-01-2003 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Oh Yes! Ooooh Yeah! This is why I love the net.... the impossible sometimes becomes possible. Woohoo!

Every heard of Exult? http://exult.sourceforge.net/

This thing allows you to enjoy and boot up the Classical Ultima 7 from Windows. No need for that crappy dos manager or scraping the bare minimum memory with old dos sounddrivers for cards that are hard to come by:

The developers state:
    After more than four years since the first release by Jeff in September 1998, Exult has finally reached a level of maturity and playbility which we believe warrants its release as an 1.0 version.
    What does the Exult Team mean by 1.0 ? We mean that you can play both "Ultima VII: The Black Gate" and "Ultima VII part 2: Serpent Isle" together with their respective add-ons "Forge of Virtue" and "Silver Seed" from beginning to end, with no plot holes. This does not mean the experience is perfect: we are not aiming for a precise replica of the originals (use a low-end 486 with DOS 5.0, a SoundBlaster and a Roland MT-32 for that). There are many things where Exult behaves differently (party formation, combat, stealing, etc.) but we don't think these detract from the fun and enjoyment of playing these great games. We've done our best to add improvements which we believe add to the game, and give it a more modern feel. Most of these can be disabled and enabled at will.

For those who played this before... a time to celebrate? I never actually played the 2nd part of Ultima 7 (Serpent Isle) but the storyline in U7 was one of the best RPG one I every came across!

What ye think? Oh Joy! :):D:):D:) :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Ah game engine emulators. not much talk of them around here.

i think i'll list a few i know.

ScummVM

lets you play all your favourite old lucasarts scumm games in windows. it also supports newer ones like full throttle, the dig and limited support for monkey island 3. its cross platform to which is a big plus for all those beardy, mac and pda types out there. i play it a lot.

FreeSCI

Ever want to play some of those old serria games like space quest, lesuire suit larry or kings quest lately? this one supports some of the later games based on that engine and lets you play them in windows or linux. limited but has potential.

Underworld Adventures

Remake of the first ultima underworld game engine for windows, linux etc. havent tried it since its early 0.2-0.1 day and couldnt get it working. looks like some progress ha been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

The ScummVM seems very interesting too. This is bringing emulation to a new level. :p

Advertisement