Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing / Toilet Cistern

Options
  • 04-01-2003 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

The problem :
    toilet cistern fills very very very slowly. The flow of water into the cistern is much slower than the other two toilet cisterns in the house.
    This toilet is downstairs and the water pressure seems to be fine everywhere else downstairs.
    The 2 toilets upstairs have a good flow of water - more like a tap running.

All the plumbing etc. is less than 3 years old and I can't figure out what the problem might be.

Any suggestions before I get a plumber in ? (I'm sure it's something simple).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

The valve that lets the water into th cistern is the source of your problems. So you might have to replace it.

Have a look at the following page to see if you can figure it out yourself.

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/diy/webpages/333.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I'll take a look at that this evening - many thanks
    (and a great link !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

that did the trick. Try as I might i couldn't get the replacement 'flap' I needed so had to spend 17 euro on a replacment mechanism (compared to a plumber callout charge I'm happy with that).

Feeling rather pleased with myself :-)

Thanks For The Help !!! Greatly Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

brilliant!
    i have been wondering about this for two years...and in 5 minutes both slow-flow toliets are fixed...mine was caused by a bit of black plastic getting stuck in the valve where the water fills up from.

now, what about my super slow hot water tap in the kitchen? could it be caused by the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Originally posted by yankinlk

now, what about my super slow hot water tap in the kitchen? could it be caused by the same thing?
    Sounds like a bigger job with that one. Are all the hotwater taps in the house the same, especially in the downstairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

nope, for some reason its just the kitchen sink that is slow, very slow. The two toliets upstairs had little bits of black plastic stuck in the piece that i disassembled - like something left over from the builders...so i assume that this is still what is causing the kitchen problem.

i havent the nerve to do anything about it yet...not sure about taking it apart.

Advertisement