Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detox

Options
  • 04-01-2003 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I feel as if I have been overdoing things in the year of 2002. I was drinking too much, eating too much, smoking too much, having sex... erm... well maybe not that. Christmas was a bit of a strain on my body so... since 31st December I have been on some sort of detox.

I fasted on the 31st and ate sparingly on the 1st. I still haven't ingested any sort of drug bar the odd cup of coffee and tea. Ever since the day of my fast I seem to have changed internally, my stomach seems a lot more sensitive to the food that it needs as opposed to the food that I want to buy. I have also started to do breathing exercises that I used to do - breathing a conscious out-breath as opposed to breathing in.

I may try and fast on every Sunday or maybe every second Sunday and drink only fresh juices or strained soup. Do you think that is a good idea? I have read articles that suggest - the less you eat the longer you live. I won't bring that to its extreme but I will consciously not pig out (well maybe sometimes).

Does anyone go on detox's regularly?

Oh, an ex girlfriend's mother of mine used to do this as a detox:
    One month a year she would eat nothing! She would drink fruit juice and have regular colonic irrigations. She would also drink a glass of her own urine in the morning! I won't go that far methinks.

Ever detoxified your system? 36 votes

Like, no you wuss!
    0% 0 votes
    I have done once or twice in the past.
    55% 20 votes
    Yes, regularly.
    27% 10 votes
    I like Apple Macintosh.
    16% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

nope never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

and have regular colonic irrigations
    actually it turns out that colonic irrigation is not really that healthy and can cause long term damage if done quite frequently when its not particularly needed.

Since about 20th of december i've drank nothing but water about 7 pints a day, cut out all chocolate, crisps etc. I dont drink tea nor coffee as it is and only drank alcohol once, on new years. I've started eating loads of fruit/veg and appear to be less hungry and my pizz is crystal clear too. So i suppose i am detoxing to a degree OR TO THE MAX.

[edit] forgot i drink a pint of milk daily or every second day[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

sounds like hippy talk to me... hippeys want to change the world but all they do is sit around smoking pot and smell bad!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

have a fresh fruit salad for tea everyday. My grandad does and hes 88 and goin strong.

I dont however do the same thing, more like a taco chips and a few cans for my tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I have tried and failed to detox many times, especially in January. This year I might actually have some degree of success though because if I drink and more alcohol or eat any more chocolate I will probably die.

I'm going to buy a blender and attempt to live on fruit and protein drinks for the next two months. I admire people who can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The girl I used to share an apartment with did that Carol Vorderman detox book plan thing for a month and it didn't really make much difference to her,

she had a bit more energy, her farts smelled absolutely terrible, I mean morning-after-a-guinness-night bad...
    (not that I consistantly checked either, she told me this... :D)

for a month she ate lentils, green veg, juices, rice
    no bread, pasta, dairy products, sugar, potatoes,

she was so glad to be finished after a month...

seemed like too much hassle when compared to simply cutting down on pints/chocolate/fried food and getting a bit more excercise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

the smelly farts are all the bad toxins leaving your body.

they would stop after a while afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

ive done a few different detoxs and theyve always left me feeling good. i used to do a 3 day one where you can only eat fruit and veg which left me feeling....kind of glowing, the only feeling i can describe it with is that feeling you get after youve gone to the gym and you feel great and healthy. i used to do it if i was getting one spot too many, or feeling bloated.

somone got me a present of a mud wrap once before, (you know that thing where they strip ya, cover u with clay and then wrap you in bandages, most people do it coz it makes you lose inches, but its not long term) and when you do one of those they make you detox for 3 days after it for it to be most beneficial, you cant eat dairy products or drink caffeine. it was good and they clay was very good for the skin too i think.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

gordon,
    It sounds to me like you would enjoy yoga. They change thier eating habits and breathing habits for a more enlightened way of life...the yoga fanatics anyway.
    I do a detox about once a month for a week or two so I am on a constant cylce of cleansing my system, though during the holidays I forget it...its just too much fun eating all the home made goodies that everyone has whereever you go :)
    Now that it's all over I am starting my detox tomorrow actually ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

are you mad Gordie?
    well, I do some tai chi and I drink loads of water and I will stay off the drink during the week, does this count??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I *had* to go on a detox a while back. Bit of background... I have not quite an allergy to yeast, but a systemwide build-up which perpetuated build ups of other stuff, such as dairy products, etc, and interestingly enough, did not allow alcohol to be processed through and from my body in normal time.

Net results included bad short term memory, stomach problems, lack or proper sleep and serious sinus problems.

After consulting with experts, I found Flouressence - a tea thing that you take each night - not much, and it taste's ok. This combined with a reduction in my diet of sugar (which feeds the build-ups, which apparently turn into a biological fungus thing), and yeast. I felt quite literally better than I have felt in years. And work, writing - general health and get up and go improved (previously my get up and go had got up and went).

Now, after the excesses of Xmas, I am feeling blah again, so I am going on this detox solution again. It's something I plan to do now twice a year, maybe 3 times depending on need. A course lasts about 6-8 weeks, but you don't have to stop eating anything, etc. Just moderate amounts and drink lots of water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Detox can be good for you, i used to do it one day a week and it does make you feel good, no negatives here. over long periods of time you're body gets deprived of nutrients.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

this is the kinda thing i start and give up after about 2 hours when i passed a shop and wanted a bar of chocolate. my diet isn't the best, but hell i'm not going to give up simple pleasures in life to add a few extra years on to the end of my life when its not the best anyway. i'm healthy, i take regular exercise and try to drink plenty of water everyday, but i could get hit by a bus tomorrow so why worry about my body 50/60 years from now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tiggerhappy

Ever tried the cabbage soup detox diet?
    You lose a stone in seven days and you feel great

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tiggerhappy

If you eat properly after the seven days you do not put back on the wait.

And you do lose a stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement