Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downes - Is this the end?

Options
  • 03-01-2003 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can confirm or deny rumours that I've been getting up here in Dubland that Downes is up for sale by John De Broomheads son (the self styled 'Young Johnny'). Someone told me this a couple of weeks ago and the thought of Downes getting taken over and, most probably, revamped by new owners is a little disturbing to me (even if I don't live in Waterford anymore - and don't even drink anymore). Had high hopes of finding a girl and having kids and reefing them out of Downes when they were 15...ah memories:)

Evac....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Good god! You can't be serious! If this happens, the best pub in the country will be no more... :(

I heard this kind of talk from someone over christmas, but I assumed it was just one of those crazy rumours. Then again, look what happened to Harneys!

I can't believe it though, I can't imagine young johnny would take the 200 year old business out of the family. I mean what about all the whiskey under the ground - the downes #9 etc. Somebody shed some light on this, dammit!

merlante

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

I was drinking in there tonite - it all seemed like business as usual. I will ask young john the next time i'm there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ArwenEvenstar

I haven't heard a thing about it either, and to be honest, a rumour like that would spread round here like wildfire.

Never say never and all that, but he wouldn't be that mad, would he? That pub is an institution in Waterford!

*fingerscrossed*
    Please don't make me find another watering hole... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

John has denied the rumour - Downes is NOT for sale!

I was talkin to him sunday nite and he laughed at the rumour... but he was kinda impressed that the pub made it onto the internet. :)

So there you go...

THE END

Advertisement