Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus

Options
  • 03-01-2003 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

has anyone noticed that when u type www.chorus.ie u now get redirected to http://www.unison.ie/cablenet/ ????
    and they also seem to have some prommotion on their cable offering in the areas which they have it.......
    could it be that they are thinking of expanding the cable service in the months to come ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

Chorus have had there Web Page down and out for the last month at least. As far as havin cable modem service available anywhere else apart from the areas they sale it then forget it! This company has months left in it as for givin to other areas no hope. In Cork alone there only maintaining the old Multichannel network they have apart from a crappy so called digital service they claim to offer. Powernet will be provided 2 years after i asked? Never happened! And you hope for a broadband internet service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Richard Barry

Originally posted by Lockup
    Chorus have had there Web Page down and out for the last month at least. As far as havin cable modem service available anywhere else apart from the areas they sale it then forget it! This company has months left in it as for givin to other areas no hope. In Cork alone there only maintaining the old Multichannel network they have apart from a crappy so called digital service they claim to offer. Powernet will be provided 2 years after i asked? Never happened! And you hope for a broadband internet service?

And virtually every household in the city using their horrible service only receives mono sound on television (despite license requirements to pass on the Nicam stereo signal)....

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

also how not a day goes by that at least one channel isn't turning black and white spontaneously, pictures breaking up, whole channels down ....
    gombeens that we are, we put up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Isn't this getting a little OT?

Looks like both big cable companies are putting out marketing fluff about expanding services - its probably best to just adopt a "wait and see" approach...

As for the TV quality... click here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by parasite
    also how not a day goes by that at least one channel isn't turning black and white spontaneously, pictures breaking up, whole channels down ....
    gombeens that we are, we put up with it

As long as we put the running of these things in the hands of incompetent people who, if they are not in Fianna Fail, are up Fianna Fail's arse it will go on like this

not trying to be offensive but its an endemic feature of this country - the "its not what you know its who you know" cronyism

Its a natural to want to look after your relatives and friends but we need higher standards than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 joec

here is a copy of an exchange i had with chorus make of it what u want :-) read from the bottom up!!! lol
    Hi Joe,
    We will have to monitor how the areas released get on first and then the next areas for released will be determined.Unfortunately we don't have a list of the areas for release at the moment.I can keep your details on file and contact you as soon as it is released in the area.
    Kindest Regards,
    Chorus.
    Original Message
    Sent: 05 January 2003 19:02
    To: Chorus
    Subject: Re: Cablenet Submit Your Interest Page

hi there thank you for ur response......may i ask is there a plan for it to be available in limerick city in the future ?
    Original Message
    To: 'joexxxxx@eircom.net'
    Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 1:10 PM
    Subject: RE: Cablenet Submit Your Interest Page

Hi JOe,
    Thanks for your e-mail.Unfortunately the Cablenet service isn't released in the area as only just launched in Clonmel,Kilkenny and Thurles via the Tv cable since August.I can keep your details on file and contact you as soon as it is released in the area.
    Kindest Regards,
    Chorus.
    Original Message
    Sent: 02 January 2003 23:47
    To: Cablenet
    Subject: Cablenet Submit Your Interest Page

This email was sent from the Submit Your Interest page of Cablenet.ie

Name : joe xxxxxAddress : xxxx,xxxxxxx,
    County : limerick
    Postcode :
    Phone Number : 086 xxxxxxx
    Email Address : joexxxxxx@eircom.net
    What would you like us to help you with ?
    i would like to get broadband

Just to follow up on that exchange i had with chorus......i spoke with some1 that i know worling with them today and i have been told that they will 100% definite be bringing cable broadband to limerick .....obviously the timmeframe cant be trusted but i am in limerick and i want it!!!!! so sometimes one clings onto hope:-)

is the limerick infrastructure 'newer' than cork's ...?

ina word NO!!!!
    what i was told today is that the cables have to be upgraded.........they were upgraded in the areas that they have released the service...........albeit smaller areas but it was still done...................i am only rehashing what i was told lol

ummm so why not give de rebels the cable
    it's what the big fella fought for
    any cork person want to ring them and ask about cork city's cables
    i would, but ..... yunno ....
    then again it's prolly all vapourware to give the illusion they're not just sitting on their collective asses
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by parasite
    is the limerick infrastructure 'newer' than cork's ...?
    The Limerick infrastructure is pretty appalling actually. In town it's basically a stack of cables wound around the main buildings - some are rotten, rather than being replaced they've just added more cables. It's pretty ugly if you look just above the ground floor of any building in town that is more than a few years old. Meanwhile the connections to flats around town are just strung up outside the buildings. I'd suspect that Chorus have no actual right of way with much of their cable system and that one objector could take out a few city blocks. Outside the town (I'm taking Castletroy as an example) the same problem exists. The cable is newer but there are the same problems wrt cable being strung along house eaves - grand till someone objects or notices that the cable has been there less than ten years and then objects.

Some newer housing estates around Cork have pretty good cabling. Not all of them have been connected to the Chorus network though so many people are still relying on MMDS even in urban areas (Limerick is the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

If someone just walked around picking up any cable they saw, thereby disabling most of their network, maybe they'd be forced to lay new cable properly! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sideshowsue

hi--i am new around here--i have spent the better part of the day trawling through google searches if i could find anything on this. i have the misfortune of subscribing to chorus. for the second time in a week, the service has just cut out. it started a week ago saturday when you would turn on the box, it would go through its painful initialization start up and then just cut out. chorus sent out a guy who replaced the box and the card, but this afternoon, the problem has reoccured. when i phoned chorus to report the fault, the woman said that it is an engineering fault and someone would come by tomorrow to fix it. the bottom line though is that i bet the problem will only crop up again in amatter of days. just wondering if anyone has encountered the same thing.

thanks---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by sceptre

Some newer housing estates around Cork have pretty good cabling. Not all of them have been connected to the Chorus network though so many people are still relying on MMDS even in urban areas

I thought it was mmds only in new places. Interesting to hear that they are actually using cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by sideshowsue
    hi--i am new around here--i have spent the better part of the day trawling through google searches if i could find anything on this. i have the misfortune of subscribing to chorus. for the second time in a week, the service has just cut out. it started a week ago saturday when you would turn on the box, it would go through its painful initialization start up and then just cut out. chorus sent out a guy who replaced the box and the card, but this afternoon, the problem has reoccured. when i phoned chorus to report the fault, the woman said that it is an engineering fault and someone would come by tomorrow to fix it. the bottom line though is that i bet the problem will only crop up again in amatter of days. just wondering if anyone has encountered the same thing.

thanks---

Ask in here Cable/MMDS Forum

Where do you live

Who made the BOX?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Chorus was out here (Ballinlough) earlier on today too. Unfortunately you'll need to get used to it or lose it sideshowsue, since if it isn't full outages like this, it's channel lockups and pixelisation. As far as I can see, this is simply because the network is falling apart.

I continue to await UTV and C4 on Sky with baited breath. But this is way off-topic, so I'll shut up now.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sideshowsue

i live in cobh and the box type is sagem--couldn't find too much even under the box brand in google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by sideshowsue
    i live in cobh and the box type is sagem--couldn't find too much even under the box brand in google.

http://www.sagem.fr/en/produits-en/terminaux-num-en/tv-icd4000-en.htm

Does your box have the ISO 7816 smart card reader?

zz03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Just on the whole cablenet/powernet thing..

It was trialled in the malahide/swords area a few years ago and suspiciously suspended, the cable is obviously upgraded so why is there a problem re-releasing it in these areas ??
    Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Does your box have the ISO 7816 smart card reader?

Mine does.... It also has an RS-232 port on the back. Once upon a time I wondered what that mysterious port actually did. Now I just long for the day when I can ditch Chorus and get Sky. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

OT
    Originally posted by ozpass
    Mine does.... It also has an RS-232 port on the back. Once upon a time I wondered what that mysterious port actually did. Now I just long for the day when I can ditch Chorus and get Sky. :rolleyes:

I was in the same situation, but the quality of picture and sound forced me to go to sky ... just have to forget about utv ... E4 has pretty much the same programs as C4.. just different days ...

And I thought I saw that sky are doing installs for half price at the moment...

yeah i'm just waiting for utv/c4 too :( ...even though utv mostly sucks, i think it's worth it for c4, e4 just repeats endlessly the american imports, no c4 news and the other oddities c4 has
    or something

Advertisement