Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog in heat- advice please

Options
  • 02-01-2003 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

My five year old Norwegian Elkhound was in heat and I'd planned for a long time on breeding one litter form her. I took her to the male on Monday December 15th, drove all the way to Drogheda from Offaly and he turned out to be inexperienced and not really up to the job!! :)
    Anyway, I took my (very sexually frustrated) dog home and kept a close eye on her. I kept her in at night for a week and let her back out in the garden the Monday before Xmas. A stupid mongrel dog who must have wings managed to get in over the wall that night, I was up at the crack of dawn in my pyjamas trying to dislodge him from my dog's kennel.:p I would like to know if what chances this mongrel has of getting my female pregnant. As far as I know she was coming to the end of the time when she would accept the dog when I took her to the stud dog so I don't think she is interested in this half sheepdog effort. He's still getting into our yard even though I've built up the wall. The pound are off work til next week and won't come for him so we're stuck with him.
    I've read up a lot about the heat period and asked the advice of some people who breed dogs. Does anybody here know anything?
    Thanks,
    Kalina

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Talk to your vet there is a canine morning after pill .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i used to breed dogs too. i dont know if this goes for every dog, but i know with bulldogs, their season lasts roughly 3 weeks, and the best time to get them pregnant is roughly in the middle, around day 10-15. so if it was near the end of the season, youre probably in luck but the dog still oculd be pregnant.

Advertisement