Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird, Unusual or just something new...

Options
  • 28-12-2002 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Now this is probably not the right place for a thread like this one although it does touch "games".

One thing I'll like about the PC compared to lets say... the Xbox etc. is the fact you can mess around with almost anything these days create mp3s, design a level/map, download a book, create a CD, use an emulator... blah blah.

To make a essay short as it were, I'm in a "is there something new to try out" kinda mood. Any cool programs/utilities to try out? ie this is what I came across:

1. Celestia - a 3D space viewer - awesome with a good 3D card.
    http://ennui.shatters.net/celestia/
    2. Seti .... a co-operative space hunt
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu
    3. Various Emulators... too big a list at this stage. eg winuae, ccs64
    4. Project Gutenberg .. lots of famous and important texts made freely available
    http://www.gutenberg.net/
    5. DivX ... goes without saying.

Anything else new/interesting or worth trying out? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

virtual turntables
    there are prolly better mp3 mixing apps out there, but i feel some kind of loyalty to this one from back in the days of my crappy old 133 mhz pentium.
    hasn't been updated in over a year & a half, and it skips a lot in xp...

if anyone knows of any other decent apps for mixing mp3's let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

oh yeah, after hours is prolly the place for this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I remember seeing a site once where you created a 3d design which you then looked after like those tomagochi(spelling?) and it evolved based on the quality of your care. I think you were suppose to print it out and make it as well. Can't for the life of me remember the link anyone know what I'm talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Oh geoclock is another one. Geoclock is a program where you can keep track of day & night times around the globe. You can see the sine-wave day/night terminator boundary. Accelerate time to see the change in the seasons etc.. even spotted the Ecilipse there last August '99.... but unfortunately the utility is now pretty ancient... still keeping an eye for something similiar. There are some net based apps that now something similar but are not as good. There is win geoclock but terribly slow.

I'm surprised Micro$oft didn't implement this idea in their Atlas program (they have 100's of filters for the globe).

Advertisement