Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information Society Commission Report to Government

Options
  • 19-12-2002 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Me, Dave and Mike were at the launch today of the Information Society Commission's Report to Government "Building the Knowledge Society in Ireland" (Report, Press Release) at Farmleigh, Phoenix Park.

The key recommendations for us are:
    • Government needs to accelerate significantly the pace of progress in implementing its broadband strategy, including putting in place as quickly as possible the PPP-type arrangement to integrate management of the Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) projects.
    • The potential role that fibre assets of semi-state bodies might have to play in meeting broadband objectives and stimulating competition needs to be given careful consideration.
    • The Minister for Communications should conduct an early review of the regulatory framework for managing radio frequency spectrum and should bring forward proposals as soon as possible aimed at increasing the public benefits from use of this resource.
    • Government should consider extending the Universal Service Obligation for telecommunications services to embrace digital data traffic and should bring forward early proposals for public consultation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Another government report that mentioned the USO (page 10 or 11) .....yesssssssss 2 in a week.

I am now getting the distinct impression that there is a bit of momentum building up in favour of plugging one of the bigger leaks in the bottom of the rusty ship known as E-Tub of Europe ®©®®™™

I am slightly more hopeful than hitherto.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

The USO consultation from ComReg went out yesterday!

thats another thread as it happens.

2 government reports from the WDC and from the ISC, both issued this week, have noted the importance of the USO as a mechanism to set a floor standard.

It means that a consensus is developing as to the floor standard below which the citizens of this country do not have to accept shoddy service from Monopolistic carriers.

Theres no point in having FRIACO and 16.8k connect speeds at the same time.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Muck
    thats another thread as it happens.

Where is the thread ??

My initial comment:

Searched the document for "Broadband" : "Word has finished searching the document. The search item was not found"

other observations: still very light on data services, the section on "Functional Internet Access" is weak and even if there is a minimum speed set it looks like there will be get out clauses. And "Functional Internet Access" continues to be defined exclusively in narrowband terms. ISDN excluded from USO. Affordability considerations appeaar to be directed at basic service provision rather than showing any concern for Internet Access affordability.

Also loved "larger businesses tend to rely on ISDN or leased lines" as if they have a choice.....

A step in the right direction, but unlikely to do much for the people who hang out in IOFFL. I will rad it in full tomorrow and let you have more considered comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

The USO directive is part of a series of 5 EU directives that are to be transposed into national law by the Minister and take effect in July next year. It is for the Minister to transpose them and ComReg to implement the new legislation

The USO directive deals with narrowband issues and end user issues. The Access Directive covers areas such as broadband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

We got a free tour of the house + wine and stuff.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    We got a free tour of the house + wine and stuff.

and De Rebel asked where the discussion thread is on the USO directive and I say :DHere.

As regards the USO directive being a 'narrowband' directive I would say.

1. It stiipulates standards for narrowband which are essential precursors to broadband. If your line is crap you cannot have broadband, way it is.

2. It also stipulates that the user has the right to control costs and affordability and prepayment is a means to this end, therefore it could have a great influence on FRIACO which is a mandatory policy objective for Comreg....from around the 11/02/03 as it happens. This is most convenient.

I made an observation on the relevant bits IMO

M

Advertisement