Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just remembered my pc live experience!

Options
  • 18-12-2002 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Anyone go to this when in was on in the rds about a month or two ago,

had completely forgot about it, a mate and I went along on a friday evening..

oh dear, got there and didn't get our hopes up but judging from the companies in the turnout list we thought there would of been a better show..

we got there at about 6.50 p.m.

now lucky for us (we thought) just in time for the pc live computer games demo which started at 7 p.m.

we honestly thought there would be showings of the latest games available in the shops or at least a showing of graphical capablilities or sound performance,

sadly this was not the case, the bloody thing ended at 7.09 ( i timed it) 9 mins long, everybody stood up looking at each other kinda going is that it?

i mean the guy god bless him , had an xbox /a gc /a ps2 all on the desk no leads or anything, and copmpared them all to the pc,

trying to sell the pc more to the people that took interest..

which okay i don't mind, if you're going to have a exhibition entiled PC vs. consoles, you'd at least show more then the machine sitting on a table,

basically went on about the practicality of the pc, ex. printers, etc..

after the 9 mins, i really did feel like getting up myself and throwing a few words at the crowd, i probably would of been kicked off the stage but hey at least i wouldn't of made a fool of myself,

another part i was looking forward to was the audigy 2 card

went to the creative stall, to test out the new audigy 2 sound card as the leaflet had stated it was been shown..

two speakers set up, how you show off a 5.1 surrond sound thru 2 speakers i haven't a clue, i ask anyway, they didn't have it set up thru the pc?

why would anyone unless they have heard it in action or relied on magazine reviews, buy it on the spot?

clearly the assistant couldn't tell us about the features too

left at 7.25

why did we even bother

my two cents anyway

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Was this at the "Toys for big boys" show ?

My God - that was some pile of crap - the whole exhibition - it was a disgrace !!

I floated by the PC Live stuff as it looked really bad - I used to get PC live and when I lived in Sweden I subscribed to it - they managed to send me about 3 of the magazines in 1 year - I rang them repeatedly and they said they'd send them - but the never did. I finally gave up on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

no i never went to that one, that was a few weeks later

the pc live experience was held at the ideal homes exhibition, it was its second year,

after a successful year last year ?? hate that whoever went last year

p.s.

esat were actually there pimping €90 a month dsl, when i told them of ntl only charging €30 ,

the guy was obviously not an internet user and said his boss would talk to me, when his boss came over , the guy told him, on the sly he literally walked away and said nothing

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

THe NTL cable internet is only available is a few places though - or am I wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by theciscokid
    Anyone go to this when in was on in the rds about a month or two ago,

snipped

another part i was looking forward to was the audigy 2 card

went to the creative stall, to test out the new audigy 2 sound card as the leaflet had stated it was been shown..

two speakers set up, how you show off a 5.1 surrond sound thru 2 speakers i haven't a clue, i ask anyway, they didn't have it set up thru the pc?

why would anyone unless they have heard it in action or relied on magazine reviews, buy it on the spot?

clearly the assistant couldn't tell us about the features too

left at 7.25

why did we even bother

my two cents anyway

:rolleyes:

AFAIK, Creative were displaying 192KHz DVD Audio, 2 Channel, not 5.1 sound (thats old hat !). They also werent selling anything there?

matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

they were advertising the audigy 2 , thru a leaflet we picked up and as far as a i know they mentioned it in the pc live mag,

i'm not lying to you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

yeah i was gona go to that got a free ticket in PC live an all but i dident bother! The mag is turning into a technology mag being less of a PC mag. Their cover story 2 issues ago was about home cinema. intresting but nothing to do with PC`s.
    I kinda thought the show would be like that as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by theciscokid
    they were advertising the audigy 2 , thru a leaflet we picked up and as far as a i know they mentioned it in the pc live mag,

i'm not lying to you!

Yeah, I know, they were demoing an Audigy2 playing back 192KHz, 2 Channel DVD audio. And they werent selling anything there. Which is what I said...

I think the cubicle was too small for a 6.1 speaker setup and the DVD Audio standard also covers 2 Channel audio. Seemed to make sense to me??

matt

Advertisement