Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prestigious HR Award for Telecoms Regulator

Options
  • 17-12-2002 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

The Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation (ODTR) (now ComReg) has just been awarded the Excellence Through People Standard which is the national quality standard for human resource development. The ODTR is the 200th company to win this prestigious award. This is the second major HR award won by the organisation in the past year having being awarded the National Training Award from the Irish Institute of Training & Development earlier this year.

The FÁS sponsored Excellence Through People Standard encourages organisations to develop the full potential of their employees in order to maximise their contribution to the specific needs of the organisation. Presenting the awards, The Tanaiste Mary Harney acknowledged “as our national standard, Excellence Through People recognises employers and their staff working towards more successful businesses and personal goals”. She praised the latest employers to receive Fás Excellence through People accreditation adding that she hoped many more organisations would follow their example “and build on this culture of learning”.

The ODTR (now ComReg since 1 Dec) regulates the telecommunications and postal sector in Ireland and employs 110 people from a range of professions including engineers, accountants, lawyers, economists, business analysts and support professionals. According to Chairperson Etain Doyle the organisation operates in a dynamic, complex environment and Training and development is viewed as a key strategy in sustaining a performance culture in the ODTR and in ensuring effective staff recruitment, selection, retention and motivation so as to ensure that we can deliver on our key goals”.

I especially like this line:
    "The ODTR is the 200th company to win this prestigious award."

[In all honestly though] Sigh. Stop slapping yourselves on the back, you've achieved next to nothing worthwhile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by PiE
    I especially like this line:
    "The ODTR is the 200th company to win this prestigious award."

lol, yeh that jumped right off the page at me too :)

Whats the bets our eternal benefactors are another recipient of this award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Dusty Claus
    lol, yeh that jumped right off the page at me too :)

Whats the bets our eternal benefactors are another recipient of this award.
    Here's a full list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

its a slap in the face they need not a slap on the back!!

wormhole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Sorry can't agree with the general sentiment of this thread.
    From what I know of the ODTR the staff work hard, take pride in their work and do their best to respond to their customers needs.
    The style of the organisation has improved massively over the last couple of years, people in their exhibit more "can do" than civil service mentality.
    We may not like their overall direction or the legislation thay have to work under, but that is a separate point.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I agree with vinnyfitz. The award was for their HR policy, not for their regulatory work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

I concur with VinnyFitz ... don't sharpen your knives to quickily lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I also agree with Vinny , they really have embraced the customer care mentality. In fact they could be a model for other civil service and commercial outfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Oh, they're nice people?

Swell.

I want broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

the Comreg/ODTR staff and people work very hard , always reply to communication and always try to help. I cant fault them - it's not the fault of general staff that they lack the clout they should have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

your taxes at work - worth every cent I'm sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

a worthless award for a worthless organisation
    it matters nought how hard you work if you acheive NOTHING!
    it matters nought how nice the staff are if all they can say is
    "sorry we can do nothing unless the telcos ask us to do something
    even though the minister has said otherwise oh by the way did
    we say sorry"
    nice shiny award for nice shiny staff...........nutz!

wormhole

Advertisement