Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnotherapy anyone?

Options
  • 17-12-2002 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Does anyone know much about hypnotherapy in the practical sense i.e. helping to overcome phobias etc? I suffer from Vertigo, or rather specifically, Vertigo once I go beyond about 800mtrs on very steep ground, and I was considering hypnotherapy as a treatment for it. If anyone has any experience of this treatment method and whether you think I should seriously consider it I'd appreciate your comments.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Kell
    or rather specifically, Vertigo once I go beyond about 800mtrs on very steep ground,

Cheers.

How often do u go past 800mtrs on very steep ground?

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Just about every second weekend. In fact, the original comment was a bit of an exaggeration, more like 600mtrs, but it is really the terrain the causes the problems. If I am walking up a nice, wide shoulder of a mountain, then no probs. If I am walking up an arete or narrow ridge, big problems. Sit down and go no where problems.

But thats sort of sliding off the question a tad i.e. the original question being would anyone recommend hypnotherapy or know much about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Recommend it, as long as you can find a reputable hyponotist.

My sister suffered from extreme tinnitus (constant ringing noises in her head) for years and was slowly being driven crazy by it -- put it this way there were people in america who volunteered to be deafened rather than listen to it - unforunately turns out even when they were deafened they could still hear the noise. She went to a hyponotist who was able to subconsciously convince her that the noise was not a bad thing, and not annoying, but a pleasant background noise, she can still hear it somewhat but it doesnt bother her in anyway.

I suggest go for it, if you want his name then PM me.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I talked to a friend of mine who has a masters in Psychology and has done a lot of research into Hypnotherapy. He says that it is quite good, but best used in conjunction with other therapy to deal with the root of a problem, while hynotherapy eliminates the symptoms (which often exposes the root).

The central thing, as smiles says, is to find a good one. Apparently there are a lot of not so good ones out there, so if you do go, be careful and ask for qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i know someone who's mum does the hypnotherapy thing. a few of her friends said they were gonna go to her to quit smoking and none of them have so i dont know if that means she's crap or they havent gone yet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

I've thought about getting the hypnotherapy thing, i have a bit of a stammer and i was wondering if it might cure it! the main reason want to do it is at work and i'm on the phone i tend to stammer a lot more.

does anyone know if hypnotherapy can cure this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

Hypnotherapy..

were all talking about hypnosis right?
    cause Hypnotherapy can fall into a few definitions..

Advertisement