Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

56k? Dont give up hope.

Options
  • 17-12-2002 12:48am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As a follow on from another thread i thought id give all us 56kers out there some hope.
    56k doesnt mean no online gaming ,go here to find out why,lots of 56k only servers for the best fps .Anyone below a ping of 120 is kicked so as the broadband users dont hoover up all the bandwidth.
    Anyways i play on some of these servers with great success,no registration or anything needed.
    Im sure some forum users already know of these servers but also theres others who dont.
    Maybe a moderator can make this a [pinned] thread so as 56kers dont loose out.

www.56k.jolt.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Most of the large server companies (BW jolt blue yonder etc) have a server or 2 for 56k'ers. These are nothing new, jolt have had a TFC 56k server for a year or more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

/me hugs funky green adsl modem and thinks, why the feck have i given up online gaming?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yep i know its nothing new but as i said im sure theres lots of people who visit here and dont know about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Hi guys,

Eircom should put that into their HighSpeed access guide :D (I presume ye all got a copy of that in the post - did you read the bit about gaming... come on Eircom, BT are putting on Broadband adds... ok, deep breaths, calm down) that even though their service is crap there are many game sites that have a heart for all those of us suffering from severe "ping" deficit. :D or to put it another way be hammered by the "Load of the Pings" (probably not funny, but I was dying to use it some place...)

Interesting stuff - although I can get to 80 on a very good day with and ISDN using TheAllSeeingEye. Never thought I would ever get the chance to brag about that... :confused:

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

80 on a good day? I get 40-70 all the time... unless I'm playing NS :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks for the info :)
    I'd stayed away from online gaming because I though a 56k would be a load of crap. Guess I'll just have to try some of those servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

hardly with anything over 16 players. Maybe with around 4 or so.... that is the whole problem, the more players, the higher the throughput requirements and the worse the ping.

I can play BF1942 with 6-12 players all right, but it is just boring... the fun doesn't start until you get into the "chaos and confusion of war" so to speak and that'll require 20+ players and that's where DSL comes in and even ISDN fails to provide.

When checking online games I am as interested in the ping as I am in the max count and don't go for anything past 20 as the lag just kills you... in the truest sense.

anyhow, we are moving away from the scope of the original thread.

Phillip : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I just can't play on 56k it drives me mad, I can barely tolerate isdn. "I had a dream..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sbp

I am one of those 'frustrated' 56k players...

I'm playing RtcW on gamesdomain at the moment, will try this jolt 56 servers.

What I wanted to say is - u have to filter what modem bandwith can cope with to create semi-enjoyable enviroment to play online games. (Try playing smaller maps with less open areas/more corridors)

For example Wolfenstein, I have given up on big maps (espec with big open spaces) like Assault, Marketgarden etc, coz they are unplayable. Now, I'm playing Beach-only servers (gamesdomain), and with 56k, that map is almost perfectly playable. There is even 40 player beach server, which I can enjoy even if its full. On the contrary, 10 players on Assault just kill my bandwith.

So, my advice would be - dont give up and try to find smaller maps for 56k modem matches.

Offtopic - is there anyone who's playing RtcW out there? I am kinda bored playing with/against guys I will never see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Offtopic - is there anyone who's playing RtcW out there? I am kinda bored playing with/against guys I will never see again.

Yep, have started playing this online again recently. Almost forgot how much fun it can be. Playing under the name "BobGeorge".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

i've been playin solidly for the last year or so as Mthor/Sparks,
    usually on jolt /blueyonder.try keep/chateau maps as theyre quite small but you'll need goty edition ,or else its a 50 gb dl:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i play RTCW as [DaDs]KdjaC

Actually play every game as that :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Thanks for posting about this, I had no idea untill now that such servers existed :)

Had the I-Stream trial there through the early part of last year and the gaming was great. They priced me out of the service though :/

Thanks again for posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sbp

Offtopic:

Will add u dudes on AllSeeingEye as buds, so will try to find ya...

Btw, I'm Borat2k

P.S. Have goty ed *grin*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

56k is the l33t

No, i lie. Its crap ....... i want broadband :( .... though, it does take more skills to kill with a 56k .... cos they see you before you see them :D

Advertisement