Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended games for Ps2 ? (gun grave)

Options
  • 16-12-2002 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

About to get a ps2 , what games would u guys recommend ,
    i am getting vice city , seen gungrave on game netwrok , looks good . I kinda like games where u beat people and keep going and come to a boss ( something like final fight one) , is the bouncer any good ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

This has been asked a good few times and theres some good suggestions on the last posts if you wanna look back on those. Or I could just tell you :)

Burnout 2, Rez, SSX Tricky and Pro Evolution soccer is what you want. I really liked Silent Hill 2 too, though alot of people I know found it boring.

And Final Fantasy X if you're into RPG's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Wont be getting ne football games , wc2002 on pc was enough for me . SSX trickey a snowboarding game ? il borrow ffx off a friend , not a huge fan of rpgs "PRESS X to PUNCH" .
    Whats the story with burnout 2 ? racing game or what , i seen it on game network , i dont get it though , u crash into some car and they show u the crash and then what ?
    Rez ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

SSX tricky is an unrealistic over-the-top snowboarding game, and a f'cking brilliant one at that.
    Burnout 2 is an amazing adrenaline rush. Basically its your average racing game but with traffic all over the place and you can use nitro turbo boosts on your cars and its so bloody fast :)
    Rez is a musical scrolling shoot-em-up thingy. All great games

what about gungrave ? ne good . i think i played demo for ssx trickey . Il try burnout thanks .

P.s : looked back at the 3 page , seen nothing much , gonna read over ffx thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Gungrave is ok, but you really have to be in to that type of game. Its very short, in or around 4 hours. Theres little or no variation on the gameplay, you just kill stuff. Its got nice touches like using the coffin as a cannon and the cut scenes and semi-cell animation are damn good looking. If you like anime styling it'll appeal as it was all done by the artists who penned trigun.

Put it simply, if back in 1990 you played final fight and thought it rocked or any side scrolling beat em up where nothing much happens but alot of ass kicking, then you'll like it. Maybe not worth 60 quid tho. Rent it, cos you wont play it once you're done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Burnout2 is possibly the best arcade type street racer game I have ever played. Speeding down the wrong side of the route with your turbo on has to be seen to be belived. The sense of speed is just mad. I especially like power sliding around a corner on the wrong side of the road and by mere chance you power slide in between two cars. It looks like you know exactly what you're doing but it's only luck that you managed to slide in between the two cars and survive. Also, the music is reasonably good to boot.

This would not look out of place on a big 28" arcade machine. Many a Friday night has been spent over my mates house player 2 player Burnout2 till the wee small hours of the morning. Definitely one for the christmas stocking.

I have played the Bouncer and to be quiet honest it is not up to much and gets boring very quickly. The controls of the characters are unbelievably sluggish and wouldn't be done in the same vain as say Final Fight or Cadallic and dinasours. But you could also get an emulator for those classic arcade games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A far better alternative to Gungrave is Devil May Cry. It's extremely cool great for showing off and plays great. It's also very hard but in a good way.

Final Fantasy X is the daddy on PS2

hey , thanks for all the info , i think il just rent gungrave , yeah devil may cry looks good , might buy it , but i think twos out soon .
    I think i am gonna get Vice city and Omnisha 2 or somethng .

thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If you see Rez, buy it. It's an absolutely stunning game packed with more memorable moments than any other game. Highly recommended.

Don't waste your time with devil may cry. Lots of hype that it really doesn't deserve.
    Its pretty short again, 6 hours first time i would think. Its far from hard, even on dante must die mode its not exactly insane. And since you have to complete it twice to get that, you probably never will.
    Theres little or no story, you get a nice intro, 1-2 cutscenes and then nothing till the end of the game. Its hugely tedious (not even amusing 'tedious' like final fight :) ) and using his abilities becomes pointless as his handguns are so much better.
    Another rental.

If you want real quality adventure/ass kicking game. Go for rygar - the legendary adventure, picked up a copy recently and its really enjoyable. Won't be out here for a bit yet, just bide your time. Maybe even devil may cry 2 might fix the numerous boring problems with the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I kinda like games where u beat people and keep going and come to a boss ( something like final fight one) , is the bouncer any good ?

The Bouncer is dreadful, but if you like those kind of games, then you should definately get Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. There's been a few threads on it here already including one very good review, so have a look at that and see if it's sounds like what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

How much is SSX Tricky?
    It's been out quite a while now, any chance it's gone platinum?

Atm I have Pro Ev 2 and Gt3. I'm holding back on buying Vice City in the hope that it will come to PC.

Is The Getaway worth buying? What about Timesplitters 2? Atomic Kitten gave it the thumbs up. :p

I'm looking for a game with longevity. Pro Ev is good and all but it loses some of its flare when you have nobody to play against.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You should be able to pick up SSX Tricky for €30 now. Don't bother with The Getaway or Timesplitters 2, neither are as good as they were made out to be. If you're looking for longevity, pick up GTAIII or Vice City.

And get Rez. Rez is lovely.

i seen rez in the shops , its looks wierd . Whats it about ?

Rez is pretty good, but its another game you'd really have to try before you buy. That and ICO, i can see the enjoyment to be had, but to be honest, i can't stand ICO. You'd be better trying it and seeing whether you like the style of game in rez before you buy. Thought it was good tho.

Advertisement