Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 15-12-2002 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Is anyone doing Spanish Leaving Cert, or has anyone done it? I did it for the Leaving, but I've only found one other person that isn't from my school that did it. I suppose it's French and German that's offered in most schools though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I did the Spanish leaving in Spain, which is called the Selectividad, you probably don't mean that though, do you?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I did spainish in the leaving.. failed it.
    Less and elss people are doing it these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Lenny
    I did spainish in the leaving.. failed it.
    Less and elss people are doing it these days..

Guessed there were less doing it. It's a shame though, it's a nice language. Did you find it harder than French? Well, I'm presuming you did French as well. In the year I did Leaving Cert, only two people did Spanish without French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

languages are a hard thing to learn properly. since spain has a high unemployment rate from college and most spaniards dont get a carer doing what they want a lot of them imigrate and use their language to work.

The best way to learn a language is to do a course on it or linguaphone or something so u have the basics and u can have a basic conversation or at least defend ur self then go and work over in the contry and avoid english speaking ppl.

I have fluent spanish, leant in spain, did my junor cert there in a public spanish school. Its not that hard (well it easier as a kid but I am learning french and italian now and I am 25) if u put ur mind to it.

Advice:

If u want to learn a language to use in the workplace as extra stuf on ur CV and to be more competetive, learn an obscure language that fewer ppl well know, like greek or portugesse or chineese or japaneese. Sound hard (and it would be) but when ur young its not so hard and it will be realy usefull and make u very rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

I did leaving cert Spanish and in my old school there are usually two classes every year, one honours and one pass, although the pass group is usually smaller there is still at least 30 people doing it every year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Im doing Spanish atm, there is 2 spanish classes in my school (St. Micheals), there is about 30 doing it of a year of 90. I did French and Spanish at JC, now i do geog. instead of French. About 15 ppl do this in my school. Are school has a good rep/level for Spanish.
    I like the langauge, think its easier then French, easier grammer/verbs and a structure similiar to English. Also its completely phonetical so easy enough to speak.

BTW does any1 have the Spanish oral book, 'Hablado bien el Espanol' or something, my teacher Mrs. Cosgrove wrote it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 aneville

Hola board,
    I'm currently in transation (4th) year in my school, and have taken French for the Juniour Cert, but during the summer, i went to visit a spanish friend over in Leon, Spain and i picked up the language so easily!

I thought it was great.. i now send letters back and forth to friends i made over there during my visit, and was wondering weather to drop French and pick up Spanish for the leaving instead?

Currently, my school doesn't offer any spanish classes, so i was thinking about doing some sort of outside course. Within these 3 years of studying French, i haven't gotten a clue. If you asked me what the word to eat was in French, i couldn't even tell you that much.

Anyone like to advise?

Alan

I can't say I'd advise it unless you're really going to put the effort into it, and you'll be returning to Spain again for a while. There's a higher percentage of marks for reading and writing skills than for listening and speaking. Have a look at the Leaving Cert Papers here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 aneville

I'm quite willing to put the effort in. I think Spanish is a great language, and i can see myself using it alot. The only problem is this - I don't see myself revisiting spain for an extended period of time, until perhaps even after my Leaving, but it would be excellent for applying to college.

I'll check out the url you provided, and thanks!

Alan

Forgot to ask if you would be taking up Spanish in school or studying it yourself. Just ask yourself if you do take it, does it mean that you will have to spend so much time on Spanish that the others suffer? It's better to just scrape by in French if it means that you will not be spending a disproportionate amount of time on your Spanish.

Also, people that have been studying Spanish to Junior Cert will have a larger passive vocabulary - words that they will recognise when seeing/hearing them but mightn't remember to say or write, and this is a major disadvantage for you.

Remember too that you will need to pass Spanish or French to get into any of the NUI universities, if you're planning to go there - UCD, UCC, UCG (or NUI Galway, Cork or whatever they are now), University of Limerick and Maynooth. If you want to take Spanish at University, you won't need to have studied it to Leaving Cert level, as most universities offer it at ab initio level, whereas French is needed at Leaving Cert. level in most cases if you want to study it at Uni. Course you already implied that won't be the case :)

Talk to a Spanish teacher at your school, or a different school. They've been through all this already, so they will be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AngelAine

I did Spanish in the Leaving and its fairly big in my school, theres 4 qualified teachers teaching it. Its great, there was always 40 doing for LC every year...

The thing is, if you give a language up you're f*ucked cos' you need to keep at it, I'm doing it 8 years and I'm still learning things!

Que guai!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah, i did spanish, it was easy plus we didn't have a teacher for the Junior cert (got a B in pass), got a b2 in the leaving!!!

Spanish is cool though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gringo

yeah i did the spanish leavin last year and im doin it in college! twas ok didnt really like the teacher but got through! man i HATE spanish but its the only course i got it was my last choice on the CAO, now i gotta go there for my course! i new drinking tequilla wouldnt help me learn, but it was worth the try! wait i git a good mark a b1in honours! there ya go tequilla is fun and educational

Advertisement