Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU directive (what we should be doing!?)

Options
  • 15-12-2002 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

i have read through most of this document and to break it all down... to what we are all about here...

There is a clear indication as to what the regulators roll should be in all of this, and also that the regulator should! be a hell of alot more pro active than our current comreg/ODTR.

According to the document the regulator should make also provisions to allow user groups and the consumer to be actively involved in creating the architecture from which the incumbent would operate from which is also suppose to lend itself to Consumer rights and protection from the incumbent monopolistic practices in restricting accessing FRaico services.

Which also means that the regulator is not there just for business, but also to mediate with and! on behalf of consumers too!
    It also says that these powers should be persued at a national level, which means this regulators should`nt just be saying "we dont have the powers? but should be pro-actively persuiing the minister to get these powers it needs to comply with the EU Directive.

So maybe we should be persuing the regulator on these issues and push them into compying with this directive instead of them sitting around waiting for some thing to happen.

According to our new ministers directive comreg will report back after a period of time, (and at this time they still say they have not powers) but in reality should`nt it be comreg pro-activey seeking! the powers it should have under this EU directive? so that when it does finaly report back, it will have had the powers to do the job its suppose tobe doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

...no further legislation required. This framework is Irish Law by the end of July next year.

Etain will probably have her Dublin Bus ticket and her pension sorted out by then so she can devote more time to the Irish Consumer.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Originally posted by Muck
    Etain will probably have her Dublin Bus ticket and her pension sorted out by then so she can devote more time to the Irish Consumer.
    now now she deserves her car and taxpayer funded pension, after all she has been the champion of the consumer over the past few years and has achieved spectacular results in that period.

OK I lie, but on a serious point, so far I've seen nothing new from Comreg that tells me they are any different from the ODTR. I don't agree with the IOFFL softly softly approach to criticising our regulator, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

no further legislation required. This framework is Irish Law by the end of July next year.

For that to happen, firslty all these directives will have to be transposed into Irish law before taking effect here – the Department of Communications is responsible for doing this and they must complete this by July next year. Then ComReg should be able utilize the powers in them if, though i think we should be pushing to get them transposed alot sooner!

However to prepare for this, there maybe a number of consultations issued by ComReg – one of these on USO could be due to be sent out this week and will ask amongst other questions about what the new universal service obligation should look like. A briefing note on the Access Directive has already been issued – it is under these directive that obligations such as FRIACO could be imposed.

Originally posted by BoneCollector

However to prepare for this, there maybe a number of consultations issued by ComReg – one of these on USO could be due to be sent out this week and will ask amongst other questions about what the new universal service obligation should look like. .

Intruiging Bone Collector, I wonder if it will benefit from comments made in here ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by hmmm
    I don't agree with the IOFFL softly softly approach to criticising our regulator, but there you go.

Neither do I and many people agree, thats why we had that big irc chat that ended up going nowhere as far as I can see.

I too agree that giving the pressure group equivalent of a backrub and suggestitive whispers in the ear isn't proactive. There should be more of "Oi Comreg, we're watching you and we are going to publically chastise you if you don't do a good job "

• Advertisement

Here which is an integral part of the Universal Service Obligation.............thats why I didn't start it in Business/Economy lads.

M

Advertisement